Chapter 2

"I can't believe she came back after yesterday," a nearby voice mumbles. Without realizing it, I glance to the source of the whisper and surprise, surprise, it's Holly.

Holly Steuart, sister of Molly Steuart, who is her twin bitch. The two are equal bitches, but the main problem is Molly. She's actually the one who manipulated Maddi.

I return my gaze to the front and walk down the hallway to the Math Hallway where my locker is located. I have to endure passing by gossiping teenagers, and to fight the urge to punch someone in the mouth.

If my parents weren't strict as hell, I swear I would unleash the beast—but even if they did let me, I'd probably get in a lot of trouble here at school— and all of that trouble goes onto permanent records.

I'm trying to get into Stanford, so....that's not happening.

I finally reach my locker and place in my locker combination, opening it and dropping my book bag on the floor. I take out the books in my bag and place them all back, as well as the bag itself, only grabbing my math stuff and then slamming my locker shut. I frown slightly as I dread the idea of going to math class.

Maddi will be there.

I walk down the hallway, evading the stares and whispers— why were they talking about me anyway? Wasn't I a 'nobody' as Molly had said? A person that people rarely paid attention to? So why is everyone talking? Jeez. I may have cried yesterday, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm ready to whoop some ass.

I enter Mr. Lockwood's classroom and sit down in my usual seat, right by the window in the last column, third seat. Gently placing my folder and books on the desk top, I open my folder to grab my worksheet out and place it on my desk.

Tap.

Snickers erupt in the back of the classroom. I obviously know who it is, since I saw about ten popular kids when I walked into the room, and they all sit at the back.

Tap.

More snickers. Personally, I think it's pathetic that they find throwing a ball of paper at someone's head funny. If it were funny, I would laugh, even if I were the victim, but it's not funny.

The throwing of paper continues, and I only pray that the teacher comes into the classroom soon. I anxiously wait and pretend to look over my paper, when actually my gaze is on the door the whole time. I have to stop myself from sighing in relief when Mr. Lockwood enters the classroom.

Oh, thank you God.

I shoot up from my chair and walk up to the front to Mr. Lockwood's desk, where he's rummaging through his desk drawers for something. He notices my gaze and glances up at me for a brief second before he stops his search to look at me.

"Is there something you need, Ariella?" he asks me with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes, Mr. Lockwood. May I go to the restroom?" I ask politely, making him frown slightly from my request.

"But the bell is about to ring in about a minute," he responds, giving me a disapproving look.

I bite my lip and anxiously counter, "I know! I'm sorry, but I was in a rush today..."

He nods after a moment of hesitation. "Fine, but hurry up."

I fake a smile. "Thank you." Once I say that, he immediately resumes looking for whatever he was looking for. I turn around, wiping the fake smile off my face when I bump into someone standing behind me.