A-Camping We Will Go

July 6th 1978Annapolis, Maryland

July 6th 1978
Annapolis, Maryland

"Mom," Dana said with a scrunched up nose, "You can stop kissing me, now. I'm only going to be gone for two weeks."

"I know, sweetheart. I'm just going to miss having you around." Margaret Scully said as she kissed her daughter once more on the cheek.

"Mom!"

"That one was for good luck," She said with a laugh, "Dana, I love you. Be careful, sweetheart. Come back in one piece, okay?"

"I'll be fine, mom. I love you too."

Dana hugged her mother once more, taking in her sweet distinct scent of baby powder and cigarette smoke. She had quit smoking years ago, but upon relocating the family from California to Maryland, she had taken up the habit once more.

"Your father just finished packing the car," Her mother commented, "You'd better get a move on."

They hugged once more, and Margaret Scully watched as her daughter ran to the car, her scarlet hair swaying like ocean waves.

"All set, Starbuck?" Her father asked as she buckled her seatbelt.

"Aye aye, Ahab." Dana smiled and saluted him.

The two drove to her High School, where the students were meeting to board the bus that would take them to Massachusetts. It would be nearly a six hour ride to the camp. Dana knew that she was not emotionally or mentally prepared for the endeavor.

Her father pulled into the parking lot littered with suitcases, students, and parents. It was a little too chaotic for Dana's liking.

"Dad, I don't know about this." Dana said nervously.

"Oh, Starbuck, you'll have a fun time." He rubbed her shoulder and opened his door.

"Yeah right." She rolled her eyes.

They unpacked the truck, removing Dana's purple duffle bag and the army green sleeping bag that she had borrowed from Bill. She felt under-packed as she noticed that each student had a mountain of supplies. Most kids had two large suitcases, a backpack, a camping chair, and a sleeping bag. Dana had only packed the necessities but apparently the necessities were not enough.

Her dad approached her from behind, placing two large hands on her shoulders. He leaned in and kissed her freckled cheek. "Have a good time, Starbuck. I love you."

"Love you too, Daddy." She said quietly. Her blue eyes watched her bulky father walk to his car and drive away. She was officially alone now. Alone with twenty obnoxious high school students, a cranky bus driver, and a panic attack definitely beginning within her.

Dana only knew a handful of the students that she would be going to camp with. She had attended the last month of school as he family had just moved to town in May. Dana thought it rather stupid to show up for the last month of school, especially when everyone knows that you don't do anything during those last few weeks. She spent most of her eight hour days confined in the building reading mystery novels and writing poetry. She wasn't the best writer, but she liked the challenge of rhyming words.