Lone Wolves (Lanna's SS)

A wolf ran through deep snow, and plowed through drifts blocking his path. Panting he looked behind him. A white shape blurred behind him, how was she keeping up? With a quiet growl, he increased his pace. Lengthening his stride, the gray wolf became a speeding bullet. With a surprised yelp, he dugs his paws in as he approached the edge of a cliff, hoping to not fall.

A white form slid in front of him, knocking his paws out from under him. He growled, ready to jump to his paws again. Then, a white furry, clawed paw blocked him. He turned his furry head up in surprise. She was going to try and hold him down? He chuckled at the idea.

Pushing her off, with ease, he stood. Bumping her, she fell to the ground. In return he placed a heavy paw on her. He stared her down with blue eyes. A white wolf met him with a fierce glare. The muscles under her sleek white fur strained to push him off. Razor sharp claws flexed in anger, as well as her tail sweeping the snow in frustration at being held down.

A low growl rumbled in her throat, sounding silly coming from such a small wolf. He tilted his head as she went limp, giving up. Tentatively, he took his paw off of her. The white wolf shot up from the ground, and dashed into the forest. His eyes widening in surprise, he darted after her. He was curious now.

She had vanished, looking around in confusion he peered into the dark woods. Suddenly, a white shape flew into his side. Knocking him to the ground, he looked up in shock. Placing two paws on his shoulders, the wolf held him down firmly, using more weight. Letting her win because he wanted answers and this was the easiest way.

Then the front paws that were on his furry shoulders were replaced with warm hands and a girl dressed in a white dress leaned over him. She was still small and he knew for sure she posed no danger to him. Letting his muscles relax he shifted. Her hands held him at the shoulders, he stared up at her with amusement. His black long sleeve shirt and old jeans opposite to her attire.

"Who are you and why are you in my woods?" she demanded in a hushed voice.

"Well..." he drawled, "my name is Ryder."

"So, Ryder, why are you here?" the girl asked.

"Don't I get to know your name sweetie?" Ryder asked with a playful smirk.

"Olivia," she answered quickly, "now answer my question."

She pushed his shoulders down into the snow, falling forward at the sudden elevation change. Falling onto his chest embarrassingly. He laughed lightly, as she quickly righted herself. Her cheeks red she silenced him with a sharp glare.

"I was passing through and saw you," Ryder answered, amusement still in his deep voice.

"Rouge?" Olivia asked in a small voice, her eyes wide in fright.

Ryder nodded slowly, watching her reaction. With a small yelp, she scrambled back and looked at him as if he was murderous.

"What did I do to you?" he asked in a cold voice, hurt.

"You're a-a rouge!" Olivia answered as if that explained it all.

"I have never wanted to be in a pack for my own reasons, do not judge me. I have not hurt anyone," Ryder said in a stony voice.

Olivia nodded with a small motion, but still seemed frightened. Ryder sighed in disappointment, standing up and brushing the snow away. He offered a hand to help her up. Placing her cold hand in his warm one he helped her stand. He smiled politely, dipping his head and kissing the back of her hand.

"I better be on my way Ms. Olivia, I know where I'm not wanted," Ryder said, straightening.

"No! S-stay. It's lonely up here. And well..." Olivia rambled off.

Ryder smiled, dimples becoming evident, "I will stay with you for a bit."

A smile spreading on her face, she took his hand again and led him up the mountain.

"Why do you live up here?" Ryder asked.

Olivia hesitated, "a white wolf is an outcast."

Ryder frowned, "they don't know what they are missing."

Olivia's lips curved upwards slightly, "why are you a rouge?"

"Never wanted to be in a pack, had a better chance on my own," Ryder answered nonchalantly.

Olivia frowned, they were polar opposites. "Why are you heading this way then?"

Ryder grinned, "I like a change of pace and scenery."

Nodding in agreement, Olivia stopped outside a small cottage, "my humble abode," she said with a flourish.

"It's nice, I like it." Ryder commented, slipping his hand from her hold and walking closer.

"Wa-" Olivia started to warn.

There was a snap, a taut rope popped out of the snow. The loop had closed around Ryder's ankle and within a second he was hanging upside down from a tree. Bouncing slightly, he laughed.

"Quite the defense system you got here," he complimented.

Olivia grinned, walking towards him, "you'd be surprised on how often it works."

He pulled a pocket knife from his jeans. Swinging back and forth he was able to pull himself up. Holding onto the rope with one hand he sawed through it with the knife in the other. Cutting through the last strand he landed with a loud thump.

"Ouch..." he groaned, getting to his feet, though he smiled.

Olivia sighed and shook her head, she walked beside him to the cottage, "you alright?"

"Yeah, just landed harsh," Ryder dismissed with a wave of his hand.

"Lie down for a bit, I'm going to catch a few hours, you wore me out with your running," Olivia laughed, gesturing to a couch.

Ryder nodded, "thank you."

Walking to the couch, he laid on it. Closing his blue eyes and letting a soft breath of relief out. He had been moving most of the day. A slight smile graced his face as he thought about the day's events.

Olivia had vanished into her room, lying on her bed. A warm smile and a tingling sensation remained with her. She had the feeling that the grey wolf would bring her much needed comfort and company. She would no longer be a lone white wolf.

To my dear Llama, who is always there to cheer up my day with some pervyness. You are my dear sister and I don't know what we would do without you! Merry Christmas!