15

Chapter Fifteen

It had been two weeks and things were slowly looking up.

Working at The Coffee House was difficult, but beginning to get easier. I could actually speak and make eye contact without stuttering or making a fool out of myself, which I was proud of. Of course, I'd still get nervous and mix up orders, but hey, nobody's perfect.

After spending the day at Faith's house, we began talking and hanging out more and more. She was laid back and carefree, and she wasn't like other girls, who worried about guys, or how she looked, or who she needed to impress. She was the type of person you could tell anything to and not get judged. She was the type of friend you could just pig out and play video games with and not worry about your hair for a while. Within a week, we were almost as close as Logan and I were.

However, there was always going to be a special bond with Logan. I was positive no one would be able to take his spot. He was the first person who was there for me when no else was, and whether he knew it or not, he was helping me recuperate from everything I had gone through in the past.

He and I also began hanging out more often. Most of the time we'd go to the hill at the park or we'd go to his friends' houses. The guys were easy to get along with, and I was slowly becoming more open with them.

The only downsides were the annoying presence of Kacey and Emmie being so far away.

Kacey still continued picking on me and insulting me–I was sure that wouldn't stop until graduation. She'd find any little thing to pester me about until she knew it hurt me. Logan saw this too, and he never stopped reminding me that none of what she said was true and to ignore her–not to let her words get to my head. So, that's what I was doing. Trying to, at least.

Emmie was still in Florida. She said something about having to be there for the rest of the family to help them cope. We still Skyped regulary, however her teasing and pestering me about how Logan and I had "something there that neither of us saw" became regular, too. I would always laugh it off or dismiss it with a wave of my hand.

It was Saturday morning, and I had just finished Skyping her. I remembered that I had to do the laundry–her orders. So, I gathered all my dirty clothes in a white plastic bin and walked down the hallway to the laundry room where I turned on the washing machine. I began to place all my jeans into the washer, checking the pockets for anything that could get destroyed with the water.

My eyebrows furrowed when my fingers grazed something smooth. I turned the pocket inside out and took out what I was feeling: a folded piece of paper. I opened it, and saw an address was written on the paper in neat handwriting.

I knitted my eyebrows together and looked up, trying to remember what this address was for. Then I felt a spark of recognition ignite in my head.

The address to the hospital Katie was getting treatment at.

My eyes widened. I hadn't visited her like I'd promised, and it had already been over two weeks!

I quickly turned the washing machine off, telling myself that I'd wash my jeans later, and hurried to my room, whispering profanities here and there as I quickly changed into a sweatshirt and some jeans. I slipped on my shoes and grabbed my phone.

Grabbing the keys from the rack of hooks on the wall beside the front door, I stepped outside the house. Locking the door behind me, I jogged over to the car and climbed into the driver's seat. Before I could begin driving, I typed the address into my phone and once I had the route, I started the car and slowly eased out of the driveway and onto the street.