Chapter Forty-One: Patchwork

Verity never remembered how she got from Neil's room to the one she woke in later that day, but she when she did wake it was to find herself sprawled, still in her travelling gown, over a four-poster bed in a completely alien room.

Without waiting to change her clothes or find a meal, she wrapped the shawl around herself and headed for the door. Outside was the same hallway that led to Neil's room, so she was relieved the anxiety of wandering the manor. When she walked in, he was sitting up, and Mrs Roper, eyes darkly creased with exhaustion, was helping him drink from a mug of beef tea.

The sight was such a relief that Verity barely managed to make it to her seat. She smiled wanly at Neil.

"Do you feel better?"

Neil wiped beef tea from his chin with a weak hand and frowned at her. "Perhaps." His voice was slow and full of effort.

It was the frown that told Verity he did not recognize her. Not this morning. She did not explain herself, but wiped his chin with a towel, and rearranged his pillows.

"If you are tired, you should go back to sleep," she suggested.

"If I sleep, I'll miss Giulia."

Mrs Roper's eyes met Verity's in warning.

"Who is Julia?" Verity asked guilelessly.

"She is..." His eyes clouded over. "Do you know.... I can't... be sure."

"When she comes," Verity said kindly, "I will wake you up. I won't let you miss her."

"You will?" He looked at her with the trust of a child. "I thought she was here before – but she wasn't. It wasn't her. It was..." He frowned. "It was you, wasn't it?"

"Yes." She took his hand gently. "I was here all night. But Julia did not come. When she does, I will take her to you."

Neil nodded slowly. "I feel that I can trust you – I must have known you... from a while back."

"It was a lifetime ago, but we were very good friends – we still are."

There was an element in this of pacifying her drunken father. She knew not to contradict the reality he had constructed for himself, but to allay his fears, and perhaps it worked, for his eyelids closed slowly and a moment later he was asleep.

"You should eat something, love," Mrs Roper said, and yawned. "He's been dosed with laudanum just now. He'll sleep for some time. You needn't stay."

"If he's sleeping, then you should go to bed too. You haven't been up all night, have you?"

"I had a nap or two. But it's harder than it used to be." Mrs Roper squeezed her shoulder as she passed. "I think you're right. I'll go."

She left, and Verity was alone with him again. The frantic fever of last night as long gone. There was nothing left but a confused exhaustion. She kissed him on the cheek, and whispered that she loved him, and went to find somebody who would give her breakfast.

Downstairs, she found herself by Lord Albroke's office, and entered. He was behind the desk, writing. He looked up and scowled.

"He's not dead," Verity said. "Can I assume our deal from last night stands?"

"It stands." He dropped his pen on the desk. "Your bedroom is the one you woke in. You shall stay there until the baby is born. We have no women's maids in this household, but the chambermaids shall serve you."

"I should like to eat something."

"The servants will do as you tell them. Stay out of my sight, as long as there is nothing of business to talk about."