Chapter Thirty-Five: The Lesser Evil

He pushed her away. "It is – true...? You were my... lover? You are to have my child?"

"Y-yes." He was all too clearly horrified by the notion, and his horror in turn terrified her. "You don't remember who I am? You don't remember me at all?"

But he was not listening. "Richard – Rich – is she lying? Tell me she's lying – it can't be true."

"It's not true," Lord Albroke snapped. "She lies."

"It is true." Richard hobbled over and laid a hand on Neil's shoulder. "It's true, Neil. You've been ill. You've forgotten things."

"But I –" The eyes he turned to Verity were full of loathing and fear. "I – no, I would not do such a thing – I don't... I would not betray Giulia – I did not. I can't – she must be lying! She's lying – she entrapped me! She lies!" His voice was raw with pain. "She lies!"

"This woman was not your illicit mistress. She was to be your wife. In January." Richard's voice rose over Neil's sobs. He was trying to calm Neil, but every word seem to cut him deeper. Neil's legs sagged under him, and he fumbled at the wall for support. Verity tried to help him, but he shoved her away, and put a hand over his eyes.

"My wife's name is Giulia. I don't know what you mean. My wife's name is Giulia."

"She died. She died two years ago, Neil." Richard's voice was low and gentle. "Miss Verity Baker – you were to marry her last January."

"My wife's name is Giulia."

Repeating the phrase monotonously, Neil slid down the wall and collapsed into a graceless pile of knees and elbows on the floor.

"My wife's name..." His voice faded away. He seemed to have fainted. Verity dropped to her knees beside him and put a hand to his chest. His heartbeat was soft and slow.

"He's breathing. Is there a nurse? Has he a nurse?"

Richard was pulling on a bell by the door. "Yes. I'm ringing for her. Don't cry. This is not unusual for him."

Verity realized tears were streaming down her cheeks. She wiped them away impatiently.

"Fool girl!" Lord Albroke stood over her, growling softly like a dog. "Look what you've done. He is not to be excited."

Verity pulled the curl back from Neil's face, and put her hand on his forehead. "He has no fever."

"He is too weak for arguments and revelations," said Richard. "I should have told you. But it is so hard to know what will be a revelation to a man whose mind is not right."

She lies. She entrapped me. I don't remember you

She remembered anew Richard's hesitation in the arbour, and realized its cause: Neil did not remember her – not today, not ever. She was entirely gone to him. He stirred slightly. His eyes opened, but he was not fully conscious. Incoherent syllables spilled from his lips.

"I'm here," Verity said, stroking his cheek. "I'm here with you."

An elderly woman came to the door, a man-servant behind her. "Sir?"

"The boy has fainted," Lord Albroke said flatly. "Put him to bed."

The manservant hauled Neil to his feet. He staggered and swayed. For one moment his eyes met Verity's, full of desperate questioning. The only answer she knew to give him was an equally desperate kiss, full on the lips. The man-servant shouted in confusion, and Lord Albroke grabbed her elbow and jerked her back. Neil was wide-eyed with some unnameable emotion. His eyes fluttered again, and the man servant all but carried him through to the next room.