Chapter 15

My eyes opened groggily when I felt someone climb into the bed next to me. I tried to turn toward them but they pushed me gently back down.

"What are you doing?"

"Go to sleep, love," he whispered.

He wrapped his arms around me, and I leaned back into his chest. He still smelled like dirt and blood, but I found comfort there anyway.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered.

"For what?"

"Being a jerk. You know I love you, right?"

I couldn't keep my eyes open, so I took his hand to keep me awake.

"You hurt me," I yawned.

He kissed my neck and sighed.

"I didn't do it to help you. I was being corrupted by you, so I left. It was so stupid to deny myself pleasure. Do you forgive me?"

"No, but we'll work on it," I mumbled.

He kissed my neck again and I struggled to turn towards him. I tucked my head under his chin and we fell asleep like that.

~~~

I woke up and he was gone. At first I thought it was just a dream, but the remnants of him was still there. Blood had flaked onto the pillow and the sheets were covered in dirt.

"Couldn't have stayed 'til morning?" I mumbled.

I climbed out of bed and went downstairs to the kitchen. My mom was up making breakfast, so I sat in my chair at the table and rubbed sleep out of my eyes.

"Mom?"

"Yeah, hun?"

"Why are boys so stupid?"

She giggled and pushed the pancakes onto two plates. She poured us both milk and put mine on the table. She ate hers at the counter.

"I've been waiting for you to ask me that," she confessed. "I have no clue, honestly. Your father was stupid, your uncle was stupid, and your grandfather was kinda stupid too. I'd say they can't help it, but that's bullshit."

We ate the rest of our pancakes in silence, and afterward she disappeared into her room. I went into my own room and buried myself in my blankets.

I heard a crinkling under my pillow and stuck my hand under it, curious. My fingers felt paper and I carefully pulled it out. It was folded four times and covered in dry blood.

Mandy

I'm sorry I had to leave. Jack found me and forced me to go. Don't ask me why he was here, I have no clue. I'd love to see you later, if that's ok.

A smile slowly formed on my face, and I quietly folded the paper back in place. But what the hell was Jack doing here?

Jeff's POV

"What are you doing? What happened to not loving her anymore?"

Jack was on the floor of the kitchen, finishing his latest kill. He looked up, judging me with his blood covered hands.

"I'm not going to cause myself pain. I thought I knew what I was doing. I thought that I could only feel pain, cause I'm a killer. But I want someone to share my insanity with. So shut up and fuck off."

He sighed, and I could imagine him rolling his eyes under his mask. He folded his kidney in plastic wrap and shoved it in the freezer.

"I'm not gonna tell you what to do. But if you want her, keep her. Cause she isn't gonna wait forever."

I scoffed and grabbed a soda from the fridge. He stared as I cracked it open and gulped half of it.

"Is that a threat, Jack? Cause it's pretty easy to murder a blind guy."

"It's not a threat, psychopath. And I'd rip your throat out before you'd utter your stupid catch phrase."

"Don't patronize me," I snapped, "I'm done with the bullshit. Miranda and I are gonna be together now, no more drama. Got it?"

"No need to convince me."