Part 2

September winds carried a sharp, melancholy scent of the sea and wet leaves. Raindrops stained window shutters like tears and everything seemed to be painted a dark gray. The only splashes of color were red and gold parkas, each independent flags fluttering in the wind.

All Ava noticed, though, was the coldness of her bones. She sighed as she thought of the warm beach behind her house. The taste of freedom still lingered on her lips, torturing her with the realization that summer was officially over. Once, she loved school, adored it even, but that all changed when Olivia came along. Just the thought of her made Ava's steps lighter. Olivia moved to town from overseas four years ago, and the girls had been best friends ever since.

The academy loomed over the students, giving off the feeling one has when they walk past a dark alley on Friday the Thirteenth. Ava merely smirked and pranced down the sidewalk.

Olivia was already there, sitting on the low wall with her legs crossed. One earbud was in her ear and the other one dangling, looking detached and effortless in a cool way. Her eyes scanned the crowd with a predatory glint. A familiar look of annoyance and disgust graced her face, which Ava couldn't help but find amusing. Even after spending three months in Paris, she hadn't changed a bit.

"You're early," Ava observed.

Her friend shrugged and flipped her black and blue hair over her shoulder. Ava could never understand why she dyed her pretty blonde hair and when she asked, Olivia merely said it was the "cool thing to do."

"We're eighth graders now," was the simple response. She didn't even turn around.

"What's your deal today," Ava grumbled.

Olivia's eyes narrowed, "None of your business."

She was always like that - unpredictable and moody. Ava shrugged before climbing the wall. Leaning back on her hands, she took in a deep breath and watched the air fog as she breathed out. Her friend might not always be the best company, but just being near her was enough for Ava. After all, Olivia wasn't the type to hang out with people she didn't like. It meant something for her to keep Ava around.

Olivia pulled up a black duffel bag from the floor and unzipped it. Rustling through its contents, she flashed Ava one of her rare Mona Lisa smiles. It loosened the nervous knot in her stomach almost instantly.

"This is going to be so good!"

Ava furrowed her eyebrows. "What is?"

"We're spray painting the building, duh."

"What?!"

Olivia rolled her eyes at Ava's antics. "Think of it as a welcome back to school gift."

Ava sent a small glare towards Olivia. Spray painting the school? Her mom would literally kill her if she found out!

"I can't. You know I can't."

Olivia's eyes burned a hole in Ava's head. Her nose scrunched in distaste.

"What do you mean you can't!" Placing her hand on Ava's, Olivia turned on the charm. "Ava, I can't do it alone. Please?"

Ava's heart thumped. Olivia needed her? Before she knew it, Ava had already agreed.

Olivia relaxed and gave her a triumphant smirk, "Great!"

When the bell rang, Ava's stomach was gnawing at itself. Nevertheless, she dutifully followed Olivia to the back of the school. Olivia stopped abruptly, making Ava stumble over her feet.

"You spray paint and I'll keep watch, okay?"

"What should I write?"

Olivia waved her arms in the air, huffing at all of Ava's questions. "What does it matter? Fine, just paint the Nazi sign. The principal's a modern day Hitler."   

Ava nodded and with shaking hands, she began. The wind howled in protest, urging Ava to run. She wished she could if she was being honest - this whole thing made her skin crawl and itch - but Olivia needed her. There was no way Ava could ever disappoint her friends.

Just as she finished, Olivia shoved her to the ground and took off, fading into the background of shadows. Ava winced and pulled herself up, staring at the small cut on her left hand. Olivia had hurt her.

Suddenly, a bony hand grabbed her by the elbow and yanked. Hard. Ava whirled around to push them off but froze as she came face-to-face with the school librarian. He towered over her, eyes set in a harsh glare that made her words dry right up.

"What are you doing?! Oh, wait until Ms. Dodds hears about this!"

As Ava was dragged to her doom, she caught a glance of Olivia. She was there, sitting in her usual spot on the low wall. Legs crossed and hoodie up, her eyes watched their every move. Her gaze was neutral, as always, but colder now. This time everything was colder about her. Suddenly, Ava thought that if she were to touch her, Olivia would freeze her to death.

The librarian yanked her forwards, and the blood from Ava's cut sunk into the charcoal earth.