Five: Faith

A/N: CHECK OUT THE PICTURE! ------------------->

Hey guys I decided to upload because I missed writing about Mafia Girl! School has started and seriously there's like three times as much homework and the deadlines are halved. I'm also staying back everyday and on weekends I have to go back to school. Still, I'm loving my new school life. New classmates really change you. I'm so happy that I have bonded with my classmates, though I still can't help but wish that I could keep my old besties. No one's there to get my inside joke anymore, which is sad. ): I'll be laughing there by myself... and that's just creepy.

If you haven't seen it yet, look at the beautiful, new, lovely cover on the right, designed by CharlotteC. This chapter is dedicated to her. Thank you, dear. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sat in the bustling Chinese restaurant, uncomfortable and awkward. As middle-age women shouted in unfamiliar dialects across the room and babies bawled their eyes out, I squirmed in my seat. The person sitting across me was calmly sitting in his seat, sipping his milk tea.

"Austin." I said breaking the silence. I couldn't take the pregnant pause anymore!

"Jace." He said, just as matter-of-factly.

I ran my fingers through my hair, frustrated at so many screaming questions in my brain. Agh!

"Aren't you in Red Hunter? Didn't you hate me? Why were you so unfriendly before at school but so kind now? Are those guys also from Red Hunter? Were you there on the night of the shooting incident? Do you know any good food? I'm starving." I blurted out all at once, dying to know the answers. 

Austin's lips twisted into an amused half-smirk as his green eyes studied me, who seemed in such a fuss as compared to his collected state. He propped his elbow up on the table and cupped his face in one hand. I couldn't help but think how sexy his arm looked when his muscles rippled from the gesture. Sure, I've seen Damon's muscles more than a few times, something about Austin's attractive build was different. He looked into my eyes and smiled smugly.

"Well, the secret's out now, so I'm not gonna pretend about anything." He started off, his brain slowly registering the answers to my questions. "I am in Red Hunter. I never hated you, sweetie. I had to put up a front for a reason. I think you're quite hot, actually. Like I said, at school I had to pretend to be Geek boy, but if you found out my secret wouldn't my cover be ruined? I had to scare you off into not telling anyone, hence the unfriendliness. Yep, those guys from back in the alley are from Red Hunter too. And I was there during the night of the shooting incident -"

I gasped. That meant Austin was just lurking in the shadows. Damn, this boy was an expert at spying and stalking!

"and I think the steamed dumplings are good." He finished, smirking at my irrelevant question at the last part.

"Oh okay. Hey, auntie!" I waved a waitress over, using the affectionate term that Chinese ladies love for no reason. Won't "Miss" sound better? I wouldn't know; I was just following what the hoard of customers had been doing for the past twenty minutes I was sitting here. "One plate of steamed dumplings, please."

She nodded and scrambled off as someone else yelled for her.

Austin chuckled at my actions and asked me, "Weren't you just drunk a while back?"

"Oh shut up." My face flamed up, as I looked at everywhere but his eyes. "I'm sober now."

"Did you have a fight with your boyfriend?" He asked in a concerned tone.