Chapter 8: Winona/Seth

(I had fun writing the chapters after these. I always thought Seth seemed a bit lonely so...

Seth Clearwater belongs to Stephenie Meyer)

Winona

Forks, Washington gets boring after a few days. It rains constantly and everything feels so closed in, even when I fly, high above the trees I feel like I'm squeezed in a box. So I fly to La Push. Beaches are usually full of people. But this is La Push we're talking about. La Push was always empty. I noticed that when I hung around there. And then the big guy, the leader I guess, kicked me out. He didn't like me obviously. I walked through La Push like I owned the place, passing the occasional little kids playing on the driveway.

I arrive at the beach and see someone. He's sitting on a driftwood log. He's kind of small looking but pretty muscular. He's got earphones in his ears and he's scraping at a piece of wood with a knife, whittling.

I come up behind him and see he's carving a sort of wolf, howling at the moon. I come closer, leaning over his shoulder.

"Whatcha got there kiddo?" I ask, pulling one of his earphones out of his ears.

He whirled around, knife-hand flailing. "Watch it kid!" I shrieked as the blade swept inches from my beautiful brown nose.

"Kid?" he asked narrowing his eyes at me. His hair was shaggy and jet black and his eyes were a smooth, dark, chocolaty brown. His skin was as tan as caramel and he looked older than I had thought.

"Yeah, kid. You must be like, thirteen, as short as you are," I said.

"What are you talking about, midget," he asked, standing up. He was a few inches taller than me. He stood so close I could feel his breath on my face. It smelled like Orbit mint gum and was almost as warm as my skin. My face got hot, thank God for dark skin.

"I thought so," he said. He sat back down, whittling at his little wolf, carving out eyes and a howling mouth.

"How old are you anyway?" I asked him.

"Believe it or not, I'm fifteen," he said sarcastically. He didn't even turn around to face me.

"Oh, really?" I asked.

"Really. How old are you?" he asked. "Fourteen?"

I flushed. "Well..." I said.

"I knew it," he said. He was making me uncomfortable. He stopped talking. I sat on the sand next to his log and watched the water. It felt like I couldn't go into the water if he was there. It would be embarrassing. I had made myself wear my bathing suit under my clothes just in case I wanted to swim. I wished he'd leave. I got tired of sitting there so I just wriggled out of my jeans and took off my shirt and left them on the beach.

"What are you doing?" the boy asked. I ignored him. I was in waist high when he called, "Your bathing suit is kind of weird looking on you."

My bathing suit was bought for me by Alice. It's bright blue with white polka dots. She had insisted even though I hate polka dots. I hung my head. "I know," I said.

I waded farther into the salty water until it came to my chest. Then I sunk below the surface.

Seth

I gasped. She hadn't come up for awhile. "Hey!" I called.

No answer.

Oh shit Seth, you made the girl commit suicide dammit!

I was starting to get worried. What had happened? I started to wade into the water fully clothed.

"What?"

She appeared behind me, soaking wet, all of her brown hair stuck to her head. She blinked her eyes. They were light brown, almost hazel, rare for a girl of her complexion. I jumped a little.

"How'd you do that?" I asked.

"Weren't you there?" she asked.

"Where?" I asked.

"When that girl came here and this really big guy, the leader of a bunch of other idiots kicked me out of this place," she said.

I ran through the past events of the week. "No, I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Well, the other day, a few days ago, I came here and your leader saw me hanging around and kicked me out," she said. "I'm like you, only I can change into multiple animals, not just a lousy wolf."

I furrowed my eyebrows. How'd she know I was one of them? I hadn't even said anything about that to her.

"Well, I mean, doesn't it get boring, being the same animal, over and over again?" she asked. She walked out of the water and sat on the driftwood log.

"Well, I've never really thought of it that way," I said. She got out of the water and picked my wolf up off the sand, turning it over in her brown hands.

"What's this for?" she asked holding it up.

"Uh, nothing really," I said following her out of the water.

"Not even your girlfriend?"

"Well, I don't have a girlfriend," I said.

"Really?" she asked.

"Really."

She looked at her watch. "I should go," she said. The girl put the wolf back on the log and waved. "Maybe I'll catch you later?"

"Yeah, maybe," I said as she walked away.