VIII

Nico and I finally reached the harbour, which was already full with people, either run of the mill tourists strolling around, casual locals, or workers, already hard at work, doing their jobs.

I tried not to stare enviously at the tourists as we passed them by. They were so free, so oblivious to the world and the dangers that we demigods face. Daily, I might add.

An impulsive idea stuck me and I grinned, taking Nico's hand in mine. He gave me a curious glance, but didn't instinctively pull away as I suspected he would.

"We're tourists, so we've got to act the part," I said innocently. 

He didn't bother with a reply, but didn't let go of my hand either, which I took as a sign of progress.

We approached a heavy-set woman who had a tag that said 'Harbour Master'.

"Excuse me, but do you have a ship in docks under the name 'Hercules'?" Nico asked her in Italian.

She looked at us up and down suspiciously.

"What is the name of the ship?" she asked.

Following another impulse of mine, I stepped in.

"It should be the name Hercules also, dear lady," I replied in perfect Italian, adding in a bright smile at her along with a dash of charmspeak. Nico stared at me in genuine shock, and I held back a giggle.

The harbour master unwittingly returned my smile and scanned the list she was holding.

"Ah, yes, it is over there, ready to be sailed into the seas," she said in a much warmer tone now.

Nico and I thanked her and found the ship. It was a small one, but was endearingly simple.

"It's a three-masted schooner," I informed Nico, who nodded.

The hull was pure black, and the masts stood tall and strong in their warm chestnut-brown hue, the white sails just waiting to be raised. The was no figurehead, but it had a long, pointed bowsprit at the front of the beautiful ship. The side spelled out 'Hercules' in cursive. 

As we stepped onto the main deck, I placed a hand on the side and it hummed, sensing our presence. I closed my eyes.

"Every ship has a life, has lived," I said to Nico absent-mindedly, half-talking to myself. "And this one, her journey has been a long one."

The sails raised and the ropes tied themselves, quickly preparing for our short journey. Once everything had settled, there was a deep rumble, and we set sail into the Ionian Sea.

I reopened my eyes and saw Nico standing at the bow, staring into the sky.

"What other languages do you speak?"

I leaned against the side of the ship.

"Hmm... Quite a few, to be honest," I confessed. "Italian, I learnt when I was young. Sorry for surprising you earlier by talking in Italian, I couldn't resist. French, as you know, naturally comes to me. But besides that... Mandarin, Japanese, Latin, Greek and a bit of Spanish." I ticked the languages off with my fingers.

His dark eyes widened slightly. "I take it you've been everywhere around the world already."

"There are always places I've never been before. For example, China?"

"You've never been to China? But you're-"

"-Chinese, I know," I cut him off. "Don't look so bemused. It happens."

"Okay..."

"So, where have you been?"

"I'm from Venice, so around that area. Then, my mother, Bianca-" his voice cracked slightly at his sister's name, "-and I moved to Washington. After that, we were sent to the Lotus Hotel in Las Vegas, then to that school in Maine. I've been travelling around, like you have, after my sister died."