VI

I plucked up the wooden pole from the ground and started pulling the horses to the building. They dug their hooves into the ground, protesting.

"We're going to return you to your master, Diomedes," I said to the horses. At the sound of 'Diomedes', their ears perked up and they started trotting towards us. Weird.

I gave a sidelong glance to Nico, who shrugged and pushed the doors open. We stepped cautiously into the meat-packing plant, and the huge steel door slammed down behind us once we were inside.

There were animal carcasses hanging from steel hooks attached to a (presumably, strong) metal pole. Workers wearing all-white clothes and plastic gloves walked around, some with clipboards, some attaching tags to each passing carcass and a group of workers at a huge table, chopping the animals up into various parts.

"Well, where do we find him?" Nico asked, looking around the huge area.

"Let's ask," I said simply, and walked up to one of the workers with a clipboard, tapping him lightly on the back.

"Do you know where the owner of this place is?" I asked innocently. "We're here to return his, erm, pet dogs."

I gestured towards the horses, and I fixated on the Mist surrounding them, transforming them into dogs for the mortal's eye. A few years ago, I would have had to snap my fingers to be able to manipulate the Mist to the person I was talking to, but I've learned a lot since then.

"Oh, he's in the office at Main Area A," he said with a slight Scottish accent, looking at us up and down. "You must be his daughter."

I was about to protest when Nico cut in.

"Yes, she is," he said hastily, which earned a closer inspection from the guy in the clipboard. 

"And who are you?" He accused, pointing his pen at Nico.

"He's my boyfriend," I said, giving a meaningful glare at Nico and smiling gratefully at the worker. "Thanks for the help!"

I grabbed Nico's arm, tightened my grip on the wooden pole, and pulled all of them behind me. 

"Just walk," I muttered under my breath to Nico.

"Boyfriend?" he asked curiously.

"What else was I supposed to say?"

He closed his mouth, but he didn't seem particularly angry. I took it as a good sign.

We followed the directions written on the concrete wall and walked for a long time until we finally reached the 'office',

We walked towards the enclosed area warily, the horses strutting along behind us, having a great time. I looked at Nico.

He pushed the glass doors open and we went in, the air-conditioning blasting us in the face. I suppressed a cold shiver, balling my hands into fists. I conjured warm, dark blue fire to surround my palms, heating my body temperature up. Nico didn't seem to be bothered by the intense cold, but I certainly was.

Suddenly, a loud voice reverberated throughout the office.

"HELLO!! WELCOME TO DIOMEDES' MEAT-PACKING AND DISTRIBUTION PLANT!!!"

We jumped, and not just because of his voice.

Diomedes was a GIANT. 

Like, both figuratively and literally.

His large head nearly hit the roof when he walked towards us, and I could almost feel the vibrations from the ground with each step he took. He wore an enormous suit, complete with a black jacket, shiny shoes made from leather (probably not faux), and a blood-red tie.