Chapter 23

Valerie projected her mind back to the electronics store and found that Henry and Thai were both there, consulting with the other Guardians. Henry's excitement at the new lead in finding Joe was palpable. He couldn't stand still for a moment, restlessly pacing as they waited for Chrome, Chisisi, and Elisabeth to return.

"He's going to need time to unravel the trails," Valerie reminded Henry gently. "You need to eat and rest."

"Yeah, yeah, I will," Henry said, barely paying attention to her.

"Henry, I swear to you that our team will help Chrome around the clock until we find your dad. Go with Valerie for now," Thai said, standing in front of Henry. "You can trust me."

His words snapped Henry out of his trance.

"I know I can," Henry said, and he took a step closer to Thai. His voice was low as he added, "I'll never forget this."

"You don't owe me anything. You're a brother to me," Thai said, but he was looking at Valerie when he spoke the words.

"Come on," she said to Henry gently. "Kanti will want to hear your news."

Henry nodded distractedly, but when Valerie let her mind return to the Globe, she saw that Henry had returned as well. It was dark in Skye's office now, and the centaur had left. In his place was Oberon, sitting beside two plates of food.

"It was hot when I brought it here," Oberon said when he saw Valerie and Henry stretching, back from Earth at last.

Valerie had never spent such a long period of time mentally projecting on Earth before, and returning was like waking up from a dream.

"Thanks, Dad," she said, and began shoveling food into her mouth.

Henry ate, too, but he didn't seem to taste his food. Oberon examined his son and then gave Valerie a questioning glance.

"Chrome found Zunya's magic trail," Valerie explained. "We hope that means he's close to finding Joe, as well."

"He will," Henry said, slamming his fork down to the table with emphasis. "He has to."

"You both need your rest," Oberon said. "Henry, tonight I will follow the search for your father, and I will wake you up if anything significant happens."

Henry examined his father. "You would do that for me?"

"I would do much more," Oberon said, and he squeezed Henry's shoulder.

Valerie, Henry, and Oberon left Skye's office and headed home in the fading light.

"I should talk to Kanti..." Henry said, trailing off as he stumbled over a tree root in his exhaustion.

"She is a determined young woman," Oberon said, and Valerie saw the approval on his face. "She is waiting for you at our home. She wanted to come to the Relations Guild, but Skye didn't want to attract any more attention with additional visitors."

They had reached their garden, and Valerie saw Kanti asleep on the front stoop. Henry gently woke her, and they had a whispered conversation that Valerie couldn't follow.

"I'll stay on the couch tonight," Kanti said.

"Nonsense," Oberon replied. "Henry will stay on the couch. You can sleep in his bed."

His words made them all chuckle. Valerie went straight to her room, in order to get the minimum amount of rest she needed before returning to the search on Earth and checking in with Elden and visiting the Knights and...