Chapter 17

As Valerie, Henry, and Kanti left the Empathy Collective, they saw a huge group of Grand Masters leaving the Capitol building. Their voices carried over The Horseshoe, many shouting. Valerie spotted Skye and made her way through the throng to his side.

"What happened?" she asked him.

Skye gave her a warning glance and led her away from the bustle toward the streets of Silva.

"The Grand Masters have elected Oleander to temporarily replace Azra," he said gravely. "It's understood that this means the Grand Masters are also supporting the Fractus."

The knowledge that one of the accomplices in Midnight's murder was now the most powerful Conjuror in Arden made Valerie clench her fists.

"The vote was close," Skye said. Then he lowered his voice. "There is already a group of Grand Masters that opposes the new leadership and direction. We will have to operate in secrecy, because Oleander will punish those who do not follow her direction."

"You work fast," Valerie said, impressed, and secretly a little relieved that Skye was taking the lead in organizing the Grand Masters.

But her relief was short-lived.

"Those of us who denounce Oleander and the Fractus are meeting in a week in Calibro's home in Elsinore," Skye said. "You need to be there. They will all expect you to provide direction."

"Me?" Valerie asked, hoping she'd misunderstood. "You're the most powerful Conjurors on the Globe. Don't you want to elect your own leader?"

"We did, and we decided on you. We're calling ourselves the Fist, because we are your weapon to use to fight the Fractus," Skye said.

Valerie's head spun. She tried not to let her panic show on her face, but Skye's shrewd eyes assessed the rising color in her cheeks, and he pawed the ground with one hoof and gave a snort of impatience.

"You are the general in this battle, the only one with close ties to Earth and the Globe. We don't have your knowledge. We can advise, but ultimately you must set the path. The group will trust no one else."

Valerie bit back any further comments and nodded. "I'll be there. I'll bring my team with me."

Skye's eyes brightened with approval. "Many say you are too young for this, but I judge others by the age of their souls. Yours is ancient."

Before Valerie could ask what he meant, Skye trotted away. It was for the best, because she was supposed to meet Gideon for training in the woods behind her home.

By the time she got there, quite a little crowd had gathered for the lesson. In addition to Henry and Tan, Kanti and Cyrus had joined, as well. When Gideon arrived, he had Juniper with him, and Valerie considered the group with mounting hope. It was good to know that her friends were learning how to protect themselves. Even Oberon worked in the garden, pretending not to be watching what was happening.

Gideon began the lesson, demonstrating how to use the prepotent crystal to test each other's mental defenses. Valerie dreaded her turn. But when Gideon reached her side, he didn't immediately attack her as he had in the past.

"I never got to thank you," Valerie said awkwardly. "Not only for saving me. You also returned Pathos to my side."

"It was my honor," he said, and his voice was more tender than Valerie had ever heard it. She wondered if Gideon was thinking of her mother as his eyes traveled over Pathos's hilt.

"I'm ready to get to work," Valerie said, trying to focus on the task before her.

"There may be some leftover fairy dust in your blood from Kellen's overdose. You must rest your mind a while longer," Gideon said.