1.2

"It was not a date." Bella said for the hundredth time that day. Maeve just rolled her eyes.

"Sure. Whatever you say." Maeve replied. Bella shoved her playfully.

"Hello ladies." Calum said, joining them. "What are you talking about?"

"Bella went on a date with Luke." Maeve said quickly. Bella glared at her, throwing a French fry in her direction. Maeve ducked.

"So, a date." Calum said, wiggling his eyebrows.

"It was not a date." Bella explained.

"Try telling that to Michael." Luke said, sitting next to her. "It wasn't a date guys, we just hung out. That's like saying whenever you two hangout it's a date." Maeve gagged.

"Ew. Gross." She exclaimed. Calum scoffed.

"You're not any better." He retorted.

"Oh will you two stop it. When are going to realize that you to are in love with each other?" Bella asked.

"The day you die." Maeve said. Luke watched as Bella, Calum and Maeve fell incredibly silent. "Wrong choice of words." Maeve said. "I'm going to the vending machine. Calum, you coming?" She asked, standing up. He nodded. Luke turned to Bella who was still quiet.

"You alright?" He asked, worried.

"I'm okay." She replied weakly.

"You don't sound okay." Luke said.

"I'm fine." She said, a little too harsh. She stood up abruptly and walked away, leaving Luke alone and confused. What's going on? He thought to himself. Why's she so upset? Luke stood up following her.

"Bella." He called out to her. "Bella!" She turned around.

"What?" She snapped. Luke stepped back.

"What's wrong?" He asked her. "Was it something I did?" Bella sighed, shaking her head.

"No." She said, her voice cracking. Luke stepped forward, placing his hands on her shoulders.

"Bella, you're scaring me. What's wrong?"

"Nothing is wrong." She lied. "I'm just a little stressed." She replied. She rested her head against his chest. "I'm sorry I snapped at you."

"Don't be sorry." He said, hugging her. "I just want to make sure you're okay." Bella shook her head. No! You shouldn't care about me! She mentally screamed inside. As much as she wanted to get close to Luke, she didn't want to. She was too afraid of getting hurt. She pulled away from him.

"I'm going to call home. I think I need a break from this place." She said.

"Do want me to walk you to the office?" He asked her. She shook her head.

"No I'm good." She said. "Thanks though. I'll see you tomorrow Luke." She added walking away.

"Yeah, see you tomorrow." He replied.

Bella went straight upstairs to her room upon arriving home. She shut the door, and flopped down on her bed, crying. She wanted to tell Luke everything, but fear of rejection stopped her. She felt bad for lying to him, for not telling him the truth. It hurt her deep down, but she was too scared to do anything.

Logan poked his head into his sister's room. "Bella?" He called. She lifted her head. Logan entered her room, gently shutting the door. "Why are you crying?" He asked, sitting next to her.

"It's a stupid reason." She said through tears. Logan pulled her up so that she was sitting.

"You know you can tell me anything." He said. Bella inhaled.

"Do you remember Luke?" She asked. Logan nodded.

"Yeah, the new kid that hangs out with you and your friends."

"Yeah, well I haven't told him about me being sick and every time I'm not in school or he sees me wearing a bracelet I lie to him about it, and I don't want to. But I don't want him to reject me either. Think I'm a freak and not want to be my friend anymore because I'm me." She sobbed. Logan pulled her in for a hug.

"Hey, listen. You won't know unless you tell him." Logan said.

"He's important to me Logan. I don't want to loose the friendship we have." She admitted.

"If he really care about you, he'll stay by your side Bella." Logan said. She nodded. "Mom's making dinner. Wanna help?" Bella nodded again. "Come on." Logan pulled her too her feet and headed downstairs.

"I'm really sorry." Maeve said into the receiver. "I didn't mean it."

"I know you didn't." Bella replied.

"It slipped."

"It's just really hard. Luke not knowing I mean. I want to tell him, but I don't want him to hate me."

"He'd have to go through us first." Maeve replied.

"Ugh, I feel horrible for keeping him in the dark." She said. "He means a lot to me." She mumbled.

"Is that your way of telling me you like him?" Maeve teased.

"I don't know. Maybe." Bella replied with a laugh.

"I'll take it." Maeve giggled. "But in all seriousness, you okay? Luke said you left after lunch."

"That was emotions getting the best of me. This is stressing me out Maeve."

"That's not good. Not on your heart." She said.

"Please don't remind me." Bella sighed into the phone.

"Sorry. Listen, I gotta go, but I'll talk to you tomorrow?"

"Yeah. Night."

"Night kiddo." The line went dead. Bella got up and went into the bathroom to get ready for bed. She showered, brushed her teeth, took her meds and changed into some pajamas. Arriving back in her room, she discovered one text from Luke. She smiled to herself a little, feeling better that he texted her.

From: Luke
Hey, how are you?

From: Bella
Tired, you?

From: Luke
I'm okay. Just wanted to wish you a goodnight.

From: Bella
That's really sweet. Thanks.

From: Luke
No problem love

Bella bit her lip, feeling giddy as she typed a response.

From: Bella
You're so cheesy

From: Luke
I try

From: Bella
I like it. It's cute

From: Luke
I'm not cute, I'm punk rock

From: Bella
I never said you weren't. And you've been spending way too much time around Michael.

From: Luke
Yeah, but you're hardly around so I have to find other people to hang out with.

Bella felt the guilt rise in her chest.

From: Bella
I'm sorry

From: Luke
I'm teasing. I got to go, but I'll see you tomorrow. Night Bella

From: Bella
Night Luke

Bella set her phone down on her nightstand, and shut the light off. Rolling onto her side, she drifted off into an uneasy sleep.