seventeen

i come to our beach sometimes, just to think.

this time, arielle sits on the beach. it is midnight.

and it's time for me to apologize. i'll break up with asley, if that's what it takes. i'll do anything, anything at all, just to see the girl smile again.

i sit next to her. "arielle, i -"

arielle looks at me. the stars in her eyes are dull, and her ocean galaxy lips aren't smiling anymore, and i hate that i caused this.

"arielle, i'm so sorry, i can't believe i did that, i just didn't want to hurt her, i thought you didn't like me, i thought so many things but i was so wrong -"

"so wrong to do what?" arielle spits.

i jump. her voice is laced with venom.

"so wrong to date her? my worst enemy? after you kissed me that night, after i thought i had finally found someone who understood."

she gets up and starts pacing while she speaks. "god, i'm such a fool! i'm such a fool for doing this. i made you my everything! i showed you how silence speaks a thousand words, i showed you the beauty in being alone, i showed you the stars and oceans i hold so closely to my heart, and now they've become yours, it's all yours now! it's not just mine anymore! and i wanted that at first, but now it hurts because, because..."

she collapses and breaks down in tears, and i quickly gather her up in my arms.

"i wanted to share it all with you, but it's like you just loved what i had to offer. you didn't...." she cries more, but i notice she isn't trying to pull away.

"it's like you didn't love me." she speaks her final words.