Prologue

** We do not own any thing to do with The Vampire Diaries except those characters and plotlines we have made up ourselves **

Please read and comment what you think =)

Prologue

Elena stood on the end of the pier, watching the final streaks of golden sun set as the full moon started to appear on the horizon.  She loved it down here at the lake-house, away from the shocked whispers people thought she didn’t hear, and the guilty glances they thought she didn’t see.  Away from the drama, away from everything.

Away from everyone, except for two people.

Miranda Gilbert closed the French glazed door behind her and comfortingly wrapped a blanket around Elena’s now not so shapely form.

“How are you feeling?  Was there any more pain?” said Miranda in soothing tones.

Elena nodded, the wind whipping her long dark hair around her sallow face. 

Miranda lightly sighed and said wistfully, “We’ll have to come back up here once everything’s settled down. Next time we’ll bring Jeremy and….” She trailed off, a note of bitterness in her voice.  Elena avoided her mother’s sad eyes.

They stood together in silence, each contemplating how their lives were going to change in the near future. 

Elena’s piercing scream broke the silence, and Miranda shouted for Grayson to get the car.

As Miranda led her suffering daughter through the house, Elena’s eyes fell on the calendar that always hung in the kitchen. 

It was May 23rd, 2009.

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

Katerina’s long swollen fingers scrubbed at the resistant remnants of burnt gruel stuck to the bottom of the pot.  She pushed her thick mass of curls behind her ears, feeling weak from the heat of the burning fire and her constant lack of energy.  The kitchen servants swarmed around her, doing their various jobs, feeling degraded by being made to work there like a slave in her own kitchen.

One of youngest servant girls, hurrying across the room, bumped into her absentmindedly. Katerina let out a small cry of pain. The servant girl looked worried and quickly made her apologies.

“I’m so sorry, Miss,” she said, curtly. She took a half-step away, as if unsure of what to do. This response was one Katerina had grown used to over the past few months. People didn’t know whether to treat her with disregard or concern. Most favoured to simply avoid her.  Others just gave her the cold shoulder, her Father included.   

The kitchen door opened and her Mama appeared in the empty space.

“Katerina! What was that shouting about?” Her mama said sharply.   Katerina started to answer in defiance but suddenly found herself falling.

The next thing she knew she was on the ground writhing in pain.

As her mother picked her off the floor and started to guide her towards the master bedroom.  In the blur of all the commotion it was strange that the detail that would stand out to her was a servant muttering that they were three months overdue payment.

As it was May 23rd, 1492.