Chapter One

Chapter One

Mystic Falls, VA, September 2008

Elena Gilbert skipped happily over to her life-long friend, Matt Donovan.  He caught her in a wide bear hug and laughed loudly.  Over his shoulder, Elena caught sight of Matt’s sister Vikki, who was already slinking off to the waste grounds behind the school where the druggies spent their time.

“Hey!” he smiled, his blue eyes glinting mischievously.

“Hey,” Elena echoed, giggling.  She opened her mouth to speak, but the bell cut her off. 

Elena waltzed into history class, and sat down, waiting for Mr Tanner to address the class.  A quick scan around the room told her that none of her close friends shared this period with her.

The chair beside her was quickly occupied by a face she didn’t recognise, and Elena credited herself with knowing nearly every face in the school.

“You new?” Elena chirped, half turning in her seat.  The tan, lean girl gave a bright smile, revealing flawless white teeth.

“Yeah, I’m Meredith, you?” She said in a friendly manner. It was then Mr Tanner decided to bark at the class to take out their books.

Five minutes in history with Mr Tanner felt like an hour anywhere else. He spent the first half of the class lecturing anyone who didn’t have a textbook. Even Meredith, who hadn’t yet received a school book list, got an earful. When Mr Tanner walked away to give out to someone else, Meredith slid a note across to Elena’s desk.

‘Is he always like this?’

Elena smiled and wrote a witty reply.  The next ten minutes of class were passed exchanging ranting notes about Mr Tanner and the fine details of their summer.

Neither girl was paying enough attention to what was happening at the front of the room to notice when Mr Tanner looked down at them. 

“What do we have here ladies?” Mr Tanner said, holding out his hand, “Care to share?”

Elena didn’t catch herself in time before she spoke her thoughts.  “Not particularly.”

Muffled sniggers spread around the classroom, and Mr Tanner’s face turned red in annoyance.  He snatched the note from Elena’s hand and strode to the front of the room.

In a dramatic girly imitation, he read out, “’Have you seen Mr O’ Greally yet?! He’s a babe! He teaches Health, lucky right??’ … ‘Ooh! See him fourth period!’”

The class’s stifled giggles had grown to large bursts of laughter.  Meredith’s cheeks became a flaming red, but Elena sat up and enjoyed being centre of attention.

Mr Tanner’s eyes narrowed and he said in a stern voice, “As much as we love hearing about your love lives, ladies, I’d prefer you kept it out of my class.  How about we catch up on all the goss. in detention after school today?” His voice dripped with sarcasm, and Elena’s straight stature slumped a little.

Meredith looked crushed, as anyone would, getting detention on their first day in a new school.  Mr Tanner continued his monologue.  “And lucky for you girls, guess who’s on rota for supervising detention today?”

Elena and Meredith exchanged mortified glances.  Mr Tanner wasn’t going to leave it at that.  “Well?” he persisted.  “Who knows the answer?” he glared around the class, daring someone to raise their hand.

Cocky Tyler Lockwood, the mayor’s son, stood up and announced in a mocking tone, “I’d place my bets on Mr O’ Greally.”  With a bright grin, he took a dramatic bow and raised his arms.  “Thank you; you’ve been a wonderful audience, good night!” The end of his sentence corresponded with the ring of the bell.

As the class filed out, Mr Tanner flashed a teasing smile at Elena and Meredith.  “Have fun this afternoon, girls.  I’ll make sure to drop in and say hello.”

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

Bulgaria, September 1489

Katerina Petrova arrived in the village on horseback. It was her father’s finest horse and she knew he would be angry she had taken it without permission, but she needed to escape the heavy atmosphere in her house.  Her mother’s sister and her family were staying for the winter months, and had arrived today laden down with baggage that was spread over several carriages.  Neither Katerina nor her parents had seen their close relatives for some time, and after spending a few hours in their company, Katerina could understand why.

Where Katerina’s mother was warm and loving, her aunt was cold and hard.  The children – girls of sixteen and twelve, and a boy of eight – thought of themselves as as perfect as one could get.  It didn’t help that they were commandeering her private chambers, and she had to sleep on a make-shift bed in the corner of the parlour.

With her mind wandering elsewhere, Katerina didn’t notice her horse veering into the path of an oncoming carriage. Katerina was jolted from her dream world as she was knocked from the horse’s back. She let out a small startled cry as she began to fall but a pair of muscular arms tightened around her slim figure.

She looked up in wonder to meet the eyes of her saviour. She wasn’t displeased with what she saw – a young man with hair of golden sand and sparkling blue eyes, despite the low sun.

“Thank you, kind sir” Katerina breathed gratefully as he set her down on her feet, his long fingers lingering a little longer than necessary on one her dark tresses of hair.

“Always there to help a damsel in distress,” the gentleman said, his lips curling upwards into a slight smile.

“I would hardly call it a distress, more of a situation that became slightly out of hand. Though I’m sure I would have regained my footing quick enough.” Katerina retorted.

It was only then that it occurred to her to look over at her father’s horse, which had now fallen on the ground, sweating heavily and looking distressed. 

“Oh no!” Katerina cried. She gracefully knelt down beside the flailing animal. “He… He just dropped,” Katerina said, on the edge of hysteria.

The man, who remained nameless, knelt down beside her and she could feel the pressure of his body against hers. Katerina couldn’t decide if she liked it or not.

Her small hand stroked the horse’s long, hot neck, she felt a strong, large hand close around hers. She turned suddenly, startled, and met an embarrassed, confused face.

“I’m so sorry Miss, I… I… uh… I don’t know why I just did that…” He trailed off, looking defeated. She tried to recoup his spirits.

“I didn’t say I didn’t like it Sir, but how about I find out your hand first before we go back to the hand-holding,” She smiled teasingly and flirtingly. He looked amused.

“Eduardo Pavlov, Miss” He smiled. “And yourself?”

“Katerina. And Miss Petrova to you, Sir.”

“Of course, Miss Petrova. Do you live around these parts?”

“Yes, a straight mile west from where we’re standing,” Katerina informed him.

“I’ll make sure to drop in and say hello,” Mr Pavlov said. And Katerina swore she saw him wink.