Giving You No Time

Doctor Lawrence came back and they moved to the deck, where a helicopter was already waiting.

“I don’t want to put you in a stretcher, Percy,” the doctor said quietly. “The restraints might aggravate your chest, and you need to be kept upright. The safest I can say for such an abrupt and ill-equipped journey is for someone to hold onto you as tight as you can handle. Is that okay?”

Percy nodded and Luke immediately moved in closer, putting an arm around him.

They boarded the helicopter and sat down.

“They’re no seats,” Luke noted with a frown.

Lawrence sighed, “This helicopter was the best they could send out as fast as they can. There was no time to be wasted and I couldn’t afford to wait for something better. Percy can’t wait.”

Luke nodded and adjusted Percy between his legs, wrapping his arms around him and holding him tight.

“Percy, I know this might be hard to ask of you, but I need you to stay awake until we reach the hospital, alright? It’ll be bad for you if you fall asleep,” Lawrence asked.

“Mmkay,” but Percy sounded sleepy.

“Do you want to hear our favorite song?” Luke murmured to him.

“Yeah,” Percy became a little more alive, eyes blinking to force himself awake.

Luke nodded at his dad, pointing at the guitar case. He’d stolen that from the car he’d also stolen. Hermes handed him the guitar and he put it onto Percy’s lap, adjusting his hold to encircle Percy and be able to hold onto the guitar as well.

That beginning of their ride, Luke played John Lennon’s Working Class Hero to Percy’s delight, and the three men’s depression.

And at the chorus, Luke looked up and stared straight at the gods, lips twisting briefly in bitterness.

“If you want to be a hero, just follow me,” Luke ended, strumming the guitar one last time. He combed a hand through Percy’s hair, who snuggled closer to him.

“When I was younger, I wanted to work as a jet pilot,” Percy told him, snickering. “Now I want to be an underwater diver.”

Luke laughed, and Poseidon and Hermes smiled to themselves. Lawrence chuckled as well, watching the two ‘brothers’.

“When I was younger, I wanted to be a space pilot,” Luke replied derisively, a wry grin spreading across his face. “And I don’t mean an astronaut.”

Percy burst into giggles and Luke started laughing again, glad to see Percy so happy.

“I have some papers I’d like Luke to sign,” Lawrence reluctantly interrupted. “You see, since Percy’s mother is still missing, we need someone to get permission for any time we need for him. I have papers that if you sign, you could become his power of attorney. That means that essentially you’ll be Percy’s guardian, at least temporarily.”

Poseidon looked ready to protest, but he knew that no one was supposed to know he was Percy’s father. He forced himself to stay quiet and reluctantly just watch.

“You’re Percy’s closest relative, not counting his stepfather Gabe Ugliano,” a hint of disgust slipped into his tone. “Besides which, you’re Percy’s blood brother and blood relatives are usually considered higher prioritized.”

No one revealed that Luke technically…wasn’t actually Percy’s brother.

“I’ll sign,” Luke immediately answered, reaching for the papers.