18. When Life Gives You Lemons, Squirt Them In The Eyes Of Your Enemies

Chapter 18

When Life Gives You Lemons, Squirt Them In The Eyes Of Your Enemies

I couldn’t help when a smile slowly spread across my face as Juliet sat back in the desk chair, even after the intense conversation we had just moments earlier.  She was shaking her head, her lips slightly curled at the corners. 

“Told you he’d come for me,” I told her.  “He would never let you get away with this for very long.”

She nodded, chuckling softly.  “You certainly were right, not that I ever doubted Jonathan wouldn’t be able to find us this quickly…especially since we let you keep your phone on you.  They’ve got their ways of finding you with that, don’t they?”

My eyes landed on the backpack that was on the floor beside the chair was I sitting in.  I thought I’d been sneaky about that, but obviously not.  The outline of the bronze box was visible through the material. 

“Well, I’m sure you know what I’m going to say next,” Juliet started as she stood up.  She nodded toward the two men standing by the doors and I heard as they slid them open.  Their voices carried as they started instructing everyone to start packing up.  “You know that you can’t tell John anything that we’ve discussed here today.  Absolutely nothing about the Order.  Yes, he’s next in line for leadership of the Brotherhood, but there are just some things that he doesn’t need to know about until Ed is ready to pass it on to him.”

I nodded in understanding.  Yes, even after telling myself that I wasn’t going to keep anything from him anymore, I couldn’t tell him any of this.  I wanted to do everything I could to protect him and it was just what I had to do to secure that.  The Order…John and the others – besides Ed – thought that the Knights were the ones they needed to worry about the most, but she was right. 

The Knights weren’t the bad guys, even after centuries of the Brotherhood believing that they were out to destroy them. 

Juliet looked at me with a thoughtful expression.  “You know, I would have thought it would take you more convincing than this.”

I shrugged.  “I would have thought so, too, especially since I still don’t trust you, but something about this…”  I shook my head.  “It just feels like this is true.  It all makes sense, no matter how much I want to convince myself that you’re the ones we need to be worried about, not this group that I’ve never even heard about or seen before.”

“No matter what you decide, though, whether it is to come with us or go home, they’ll come out of the woodworks very soon.  You’ll be able to tell who’s who in this small world of ours.  But if you help us, we’ll be able to learn their plan that much quicker.  We need a mind like yours.”

Kind of weird, Juliet saying that they needed me. 

“So what now?” I asked, looking toward the open doors to the office.  “Are you taking me with you guys, or leaving me for John to find?  This was the only reason you took me in the first place, right?”

Juliet nodded.  “Yes, this was it.  It was a very small portion of what all is really going on at the moment and, if you choose to help us, you’ll learn the rest through time.  But as for John…”  She looked down at her watch, checking the time.  “I’m sure he’s already gotten through our perimeter guard.  When it comes to you, he’d stop at nothing.”

“Yeah, well, after everything that you’ve put us through, I’d say he’s got a right to be a little protective.”

“Too protective, if you ask me.”