Butterfly Knot

An elderly woman has a somber expression as she lifts a child's small hands in her's. She moves the girl's hand back and forth before bringing it up to her face and sighing. The girl tilts her head at the action. Why is she upset? The girl think back to her past actions. She washed her hands, she did great on all her tests, she even got her first golden star in third-grade today! She frowns at her grandmother's gloomy mood, it wasn't helping her own mood either. Grandmother was always cheery when she saw her, bringing hugs and treats, telling her how much of a nice grand-daughter she is.

            “Soo-Yoon,” She says.

            Soo-Yoon turns her head up to her grandmother, hoping to get an answer for her bad mood.

            The old woman lifts her hand up again and points to Soo-Yoon's ring finger.

            “Your string of fate, it's been cut.” The red string that's on everyone's ring finger, it was cut on Soo-Yoon's. Her head falls down to the ground again as she lifts the girl up, an ominous frown was on her face. “Soo-Yoon, we must find your string. Or else you and your loved one will never be one.”

            The door to her room suddenly slams open and both her parents come in angrily. Soo-Yoon's mother was the first to reach her and yanks the girl away from grandmother.

            “That's it! I wont have you telling her crazy fantasies! Either you stop or we're not housing you anymore, mother!”

            She covers her ears at how much her mother shrieks at her grandmother.

            The elderly woman  frowns and sneers back at her daughter.

            “You do not understand! Having her string cut isn't only going to effect Soo-Yoon, but also other fated ones! It may even come in between you and your husband! One string helps to balance the others, if one is changed they all are! There wont be any more balance!”

            “Mother! Stop it, there is no red strings! If it's really true why can't I see them?”

            The grandmother shakes her head and walks up to her daughter while stretching out her hands. An almost pleading look was on her face.

            “You know that it skips a generation. Neither you or my mother could see the strings. Please, hand Soo-Yoon over to me. I need to find who her string connects to and fix it.”

            “Get out!”

~*~*~*~*~*~

            Tragically, six months after that event it turns out Soo-Yoon's father was cheating on her mother. It was some co-worker, she doesn't really know that much since her mother didn't tell her what actually happened until she was older. Soo-Yoon's grandmother did end up getting kicked out from her parent's home and moved back to Korea. Never heard from her again, and if she ever asked her parents, they would get all upset. Soo-Yoon's shrugs and continues to do her homework. It's not like she was going to go search for her grandmother and learn more about strings of fate. She was just a curious child, any kid would want to know what happened to their grandparents.

            Ah, she should also mention her red string of fate was never re-connected.

            She lifts up her ring finger to view the red string. The red string of fate is a folklore that says whoever are connected by the string are destined to be soul-mates until the end of time. But, that only happens if you meet your soul-mate/finding the other end of the string. Soo-Yoon looks up to the people around her in the study room. She can see the strings connected on everyone's finger, but only a portion of it. If she wants to see the whole line she has to pick it up. But, somehow her's got cut and after that strange things happened.