Part 20

Part 20

    10 seconds left.

    Andrews stands and begins firing on the kids hiding inside the alley. That bastard. He was diverting my attention. He had made the first move against those that I stood to protect. If he killed them Jack's death, my death, it would all be meaningless. Squad 13 truly was made from the worst mankind had to offer. How the hell were each of us allowed to walk the streets? I couldn't live with letting these people die and now a member of my own team had begun killing them before our time had even come to an end. Maybe Andrews knew he was done for either way. Maybe he just wanted to take all of us down with him as the two of us missed our extraction. He could have called off the strike, the drone ship would still be there to pick us up, he could have made an excuse to Reynolds just as I had planned saying that we had found valuable intel on Section 17. Bastard. Andrews. He had to do things his own way.

    0 seconds left.    

    I shot Andrews in the forehead. He died far quicker a death then he deserved. He killed two of the eight kids (I finally counted) I had been trying to protect but it was too late. Kal, Cillian, Mizuki, Tusk had already made there way to the drone ship and they were taking off. I received a ping from Kal 'get underground now, they are using fusion missiles not nuclear, if you can get six to eight feet underground or inside a shelter you can surivive this, we will come for you once the fog clears'. The 'fog clears' another cryptic message. I had forgotten that Reynolds had been watching my every move via the same contacts I used to talk to my team. He had access to everyones visions. He could practically tell what we were feeling based on our pulse and monitoring us via the other implants we had. I think I must have twelve total by now. Too many to name. I was just as much a cyborg as these kids though no one could tell.

    I could see my team flying away and the shuttle that was coming to burn this city to the ground just as I received the ping that I was now in charge of Squad 13.

Don't forget to vote!

Own my first novel (and first book in my 'Deep Darkness' series) 'Pull' on Amazon http://hyperurl.co/vfj635 available now!