Tears of the Reaper

If I had known that long ago I'd be in this exact circumstance at this exact moment, I would've rethought all of the decisions I made throughout my nearly twenty-one hundred years of life up until now. The idea revolves around my conscious mind as I watch the events unravel in front of my eyes. As the horrific danger tumbles toward me, I can't help but feel utterly traumatized.

"Haru!" Rayce's voice carries out the end vowel to an irritating extent. "I missed you!" He continues to drag out the high pitched syllables with hyper and childish emotions in tow. I smack my forehead and shut my eyes as if to imagine my quiet place. Oh, how I wish I'd reconsidered my decisions.

Rayce sprints as fast as he can muster in my direction with eyes bigger than humanly possible. I hold out my arm as his head comes into contact with my palm. I keep his squirming body away from mine. Steele calmly jaunts over to join us.

I still feel the anger inside me from earlier, when no one sided with me on locking Akira up so she doesn't stray away again. And I neglect to feel any anticipation for the upcoming argument Steele will make sure we have.

"I realize the predicament at hand is inevitable, and as you know, we will be stepping aside to have one particular conversation at a later time." Steele asserts with a deep authoritative tone that relentlessly sends chills through my pores.

His eyes read like a death sentence, though his words are polite, all of his true feelings become expressed in those violent citrine eyes of his. The only person who likes those eyes is Rayce, and he doesn't even understand the terror Steele radiates with every word he speaks.

I blow my bangs out of my eyes and look away from the harsh yellow gaze, "I hold back the desire to retch when you talk like an old man." I mumble under my breath.

"Aww Haru that was harsh..." Rayce backs away from my hand and peers up to me like a sad puppy. He pouts, pushing his lower lip all the way out. His eyes reflect a spark of sunlight like ocean water. They hold the innocence of a child. Damnit, stop that.

Steele yanks Rayce away from my side by the back of his waistcoat collar. He then tosses the small guardian aside and grabs a fist full of my shirt. His face closes in on mine, our noses only a hair away from touching. He presses his discourse and irritation into my personal space, as if the act of shoving it into my face would help me understand and do what he says without question. He has a bad habit of allowing his domineering personality to get out of control.

It infuriates me.

"Submit yourself, Haruka." His voice is low and sharp, "You know quite abundantly the crime of abandoning your services and duties to our Lady. You have a grave amount of sin to grovel on your knees for." He grips onto my collar even tighter, "And yet, you continue this childish behavior to fuel your selfish desires."

"Like hell I do!" I yell as loud as I can with the most anger I force myself to muster into my words, "Don't think for a second that I buy your obviously fake act of committing yourself to Akira's happiness! You're a fake!" My jaw locks, and I pull my eyebrows together. I feel like slitting his throat. How dare he act like my parent or my caretaker, "You don't own me," how dare he assume the worst in me, "At least I'm honest!" I shut my eyes and push his body away from mine, hitting his shoulders and collarbone with my palms. He relentlessly maintains the expressionless face that never dissolves. It frustrates me even more.

"Are you finished, Haruka?" His low voice is calm and gentle, criticizing my fluster of emotions. He waits for my response patiently, holding out for the crack in my mind to shatter.

"Let go of me!" I try to pry his fingers off, but they're in his tight fist which is wrapped around my clothing. His grip is unbearably strong. "Steele-"