Chapter 31

Alfredo looked confused. “You’ve been fucking the freak?”

D’Arbignal shook his head.

“You shouldn’t have said that,” he said. He was grinning, but it seemed forced. His eyes were cold.

D’Arbignal reached into his bag and withdrew several small objects. He held them aloft in the light to reveal that he held three large rubies. A collective gasp issued from the audience. Conchinara looked at the stones with unconcealed avarice.

“Marco,” D’Arbignal called out. “I’ve produced what I promised. Do you still agree to the terms of our wager?”

“Wager?” Alfredo said. “What wager?”

Marco stepped forward, wringing his hands. His forehead was dotted with perspiration, and his eyes shone. His voice had a giddy tremor in it as he said, “Yes, we are still on for our wager.”

What wager?” Alfredo said again.

D’Arbignal returned to his bag, and withdrew the gift he had given to the Cyclops two weeks ago: a gleaming silver rapier with an ornate silver guard. He handed the rapier to her hilt-first.

“I don’t … I don’t understand,” Alfredo said.

Feeling like an idiot, the Cyclops stepped before Alfredo and saluted him as D’Arbignal had taught her. She stayed immobile, waiting for Alfredo to return the salute.

“You … you can’t be serious!”

D’Arbignal produced another ruby and placed it on the ground separated from the others. “Is this serious enough?”

Alfredo laughed. “My reputation is worth more than a few gems. It’ll take more than that to get me to hurt a woman, even one as ugly as her.”

“Fine, five rubies then.” He produced the fifth ruby.

Alfredo put his hands on his hips. “You don’t understand, D’Arbignal. There is no number of gems you can give me that will convince me to duel … that.”

“Fair enough,” D’Arbignal said. He sheathed his orange rapier and placed it next to the gems. “How about that?”

“D’Arbignal, no!” cried the Cyclops.

He grinned at her and winked, his eyes manic.

There was that gleam of avarice in Alfredo’s eyes again. He smiled grimly.

“I accept your offer. What do you want of me in return, if somehow the freak wins?”

“Two things,” D’Arbignal said. “First, that you treat Maria with respect from now on.”

“And the other?”

“That you teach her to fence until she is as good as you or better.”

“Done!” Alfredo said, laughing. “I would have offered anything, because it’s a fool’s bet. Thank you for the rapier, D’Arbignal.”

D’Arbignal bowed with a flourish. “My pleasure. It’s yours for the taking. Now all you have to do is earn it.”

Rage filled Alfredo’s eyes once more as he turned to face the Cyclops and returned her salute. He adopted his fighting stance. She assumed hers.

“To first blood?” D’Arbignal suggested.

“To first blood,” Alfredo agreed.

The Cyclops nodded. “To first blood.”