Chapter 30

“You’ve been fucking my wife!” Alfredo spat defiantly, still on his knees.

“I think you’ve got that backwards,” D’Arbignal quipped. “I never laid a hand on her. I swear it.”

“Liar! Every night, Conchinara disappears. Every night, you’re nowhere to be found. Every night, she comes back to our tent smelling of another man. You’ve been fucking my wife!”

Alfredo sprang at D’Arbignal, who retreated a step, rapier at the ready.

“No, I haven’t,” D’Arbignal said patiently. “My evenings have been otherwise engaged.”

Alfredo glanced at his own rapier, Conchinara still holding it out to him. D’Arbignal waved his hand in a be-my-guest gesture. Alfredo looked torn between fear and pride, but at last, accepted the weapon from his wife. However, he kept the weapon lowered at his side.

“Engaged? Engaged by what?” he said, spittle dotting the corners of his mouth.

D’Arbignal grinned. “I’m so glad you asked.”

He spread his arms wide to the audience.

“Ladies and gentlemen, it is my pleasure to announce the second act! Prepare for thrills and chills as I introduce Madame Maria (formerly known as the Cyclops).” He extended his hand to the Cyclops, who hesitated only momentarily before coming to him and taking his hand.