Chapter 21: Carl and Walt

“You don’t need bumpers alright. You play perfectly fine without them.” I slumped down in my chair so far that I was almost falling out of it.

Everyone chuckled a bit, finding Greg’s comment pretty funny.

“It was just a warm-up.”

“You said that about the last two rounds, Anya.” My cheeks flamed and I looked down causing my hair to fall into my face.

“Not my fault you are all really good.” I heard a few giggles and I looked up to see Jess laughing along with Chris and Parker.

“That’s true, but still. You just suck.” Greg ended, grabbing his jacket and pulling it over his shoulders. “I’m going to leave, I have work in the morning. See you guys later!”

I heard a set of keys jingle and I looked up to see Greg hugging everyone goodbye. I was the only person he didn’t hug or whatever that thing is guys do to say goodbye. I was actually glad. He hadn’t made my night the best.

“Well, I have time for one more round.” Chris announced, sitting at the scoreboard computer. “Who else wants to play?” We all looked around at one another.

“I’ll play.” Penelope responded.

“Me too,” Ivy piped in. “and so will Jess since she’s coming home with me.” Jess smiled, nodding to Chris to let him know it was okay.

“Anya?” He asked me, his fingers ready to type my name into slot number five. I bit my lip to think. I really needed to get home since I had a dance show rehearsal tomorrow morning. It was early and if I didn’t get to bed soon I’d be half asleep during the rehearsal and I’m not good when I don’t have sleep in me. I often get cranky like most people do.

“Well…” Chris did bring me here. The last game wasn’t that long. It had been faster than the first and the second. There would also be less people this time around.

“I’ve got to get going too. I have some things I’ve got to get done tomorrow.” Chris nodded, looking from me to Parker and then back to me. I shook my head.

“Nah, I’ve got a dance practice early tomorrow morning.” Chris’ fingers clicked the accept button and the game was set.

“Well, how are you going to get home?” He suddenly asked, remembering that he brought me here. I shrugged, thinking about calling John, but I didn’t think he’d want to come and get me after I told him what I was doing and raced out of his room this morning…

“I’ll take her.” My lips curved into a thankful smile.

“Alright, see you guys tomorrow.” We both made our way to everyone to say goodbye and then grabbed our jackets and headed out.

It was cooler than it was earlier so I was lucky to bring a jacket as we walked. I was guessing Parker couldn’t find a spot in the parking lot as I looked around to see it almost full, some probably left a little while ago, and we walked towards the side of the road.

“So, I’m guessing you don’t bowl much?” I groaned, burying my head into my hands.

“Can we not talk about my terrible bowling skills?” Parker chuckled.

“Alright, fine. So, you made it into that dance show?” I nodded, running my fingers through my hair.

“Yeah, John made sure I tried out and Mr. Haultin really liked my audition.” I informed him as we continued down the sidewalk.

“Well that’s good. You are pretty good.” I felt my cheeks warm up a bit.

“Since when have you seen me really dance?” Parker smirked.