Chapter 16: Woken Up

"Anya, is that you?" Sarah's voice rang through the mansion of a house. I closed the front door behind me and then dropped my bag onto the floor.

"Yeah!" I called back to her. I could hear footsteps, but really hadn't learned much about this house since I got her to know exactly where she was.

"Why are you so late?" She suddenly asked, peeking her head around a corner. I shrugged.

"Dance ran late." She frowned.

Damn... I knew she wouldn't buy it.

"Alright, so dance rang 2 hours later than usual?" I shrugged. She just narrowed her eyes as I walked passed her hoping that she'd just drop it.

"Yupp." I told her, popping the 'p'.

"Don't lie to me young lady. You got a detention didn't you?" I stopped in my tracks and turned around. Her expression made it seem she was angrier than she sounded. Her hands rested on her hips as she looked at me through her dark brown eyes.

"How do you know?" Before she could answer it clicked.

John.

"Yes, John told me. Why do you keep getting in trouble?" She sighed, letting her arms drop against her sides. "I didn't expect you to be one for trouble." I looked down at my hands, twiddling my thumbs and thinking of something to say.

I wasn't one to get in trouble. All the things I had done in the past days that I had been her made me seem like one.

"I'm really not." I told her, not looking up. I hear her heels click against the floor as she walked towards me, resting her hand on my shoulder.

"I know, but your mother's death is no reason to be acting out." I frowned at that comment. It wasn't my mother's death that made me kiss Mr. Felton or make him give me a detention. It was his stupid bi-polar mood today. Yeah her death made me do things I never would've done, but he's the one who gave out the double detention, not me.

"I know." Is all I said, trying my best just to give up and lie to her. No way was that kiss going to be brought up any time soon.

"Alright, well, dinner's ready. Go take a seat and I'll call down Toby and Nadine." With that, she raised her hands to cup her lips as she called Toby and Nadine down, from where ever they were, to come eat dinner.

Still not sure of where to go, I just stood still. When Sarah was done calling everyone she turned and laughed.

"Still don't know where everything is?" I shook my head.

"Not even close." She laughed once again and guided me down the hall, past what looked like a kitchen and then into the dining room. It was the second door on the left down the hallway. I would have to remember that.

 After everyone was at the table, everyone meaning, Toby, Nadine, Sarah, John and myself, diner was passed out. Each bowl and plate was passed down and you took as much or as little as you would like. Slowly regaining my appetite, I would take a little more each night. This seemed to make Sarah happy. 

"Now, Anya." I raised my head so that my eyes could see John from under my bangs.

"Yes?" I questioned, picking up my spoon to drink (or eat?) the soup that I had poured into my bowl. As the warm liquid made it's way down my dry throat he cleared his throat.

"I've taken the time out of my day tomorrow to drop you off at the dance hall." I just raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"What about?" I asked, taking another spoon full of soup into my mouth, letting the mouth-watering taste run all over my taste buds.