Chapter 9

Wyverncry's frozen body shook awake, as he tried to take off the thin coat of snow that had fell on him throughout the night. Curled up beside him, he wasn't amazed to see Cherryleaf who had fell asleep, too.

They hadn't been sisters, but Wishstar had always seeked for guidance in her close friend in the worst times. Cherryleaf, in return, had stood by her side and consoled Wishstar when her mate had died.

Wyverncry nudged the senior warrior awake, who rose and stretched her stiff limbs, parting her jaws in a large yawn. She then looked around, a bit embarrassed. Wyverncry's whiskers twitched as he smiled at her.

"She now looks down upon us from Starclan." he murmured softly, as Cherryleaf pawed softly the snow off of Wishstar's white coat. Without averting her eyes from Wishstar's corpse, she sighed softly.

"I'll never hear her voice again, Wyverncry, or follow her orders, but I'll be undoubtedly loyal to you." she promised, her eyes gleaming towards him. "When are you going to get your nine lives?"

Wyverncry blinked in surprise. He reasoned with himself for a moment, wondering if he was supposed to or not. Halfclan was part of Flameclan now, but that had been under the word of Wishstar. Now he knew that the prophecy that Molestar cherished was fake, but it held a hint of truth- the Flame. So did the prophecy mean the clan, or..

The tall warrior spotted a little figure scamper across the fresh snow. Flamepaw's bright orange coat was fluffier than it had ever looked in the frozen weather. The kit weaved around Wyverncry's paws to nuzzle the frigid body of the leader.

Wyverncry was taken aback, and slightly angered. He'd never met this kit, and even if they were supposedly in the same clan, he felt a pinch of jealousy that any random apprentice would want to say goodbye to Wishstar in such a personal way.

"How did you know Wishstar, little kit?" grumbled the tom, flicking his tail to shoo the kitten away from Wishstar's corpse. Flamepaw blinked up at him, unable to reveal any of his secrets.

"I'm not a kit! I'm an apprentice!" retorted Flamepaw, annoyed he'd been mistaken for one. Wyverncry's eyes narrowed, as he inquired further on.

"What is your name, then?"

"Flamepaw! I have as much right as you to grieve Wishstar as you. We're in the same clan, after all." Wyverncry was taken by surprise. Had Wishstar kept an eye on this kit, suspecting he was part of the prophecy? Could Wyverncry take the chance to leave this kit in Flameclan and lose his eye on Flamepaw?

He felt no link or loyalty to Molestar anymore, and he was sure his clan felt the same. That was enough to make any cat leave his clan. Would Flamepaw be safe enough without him? If Wyverncry left with his clan, this would create rivalry against the kit's clan.

The dark gray tom decided himself. It was the will of Wishstar, so it was his will too, to ally with Molestar. His choice wouldn't him stop from getting his nine lives, though, and Wyverncry shook his thick leaf-bare pelt.

"How are you going to get your nine lives, Wyverncry?" meowed a small voice, as Snowtail joined the group. None of them had spotted her or heard her arrive. Grief clouded the she-cat's eyes as she glanced at Wishstar's body.

"The source where leaders and medicine cats used to visit to share tongues with Starclan dried up long ago." meowed slowly Wyverncry in reply, as all cats shivered and looked at him, interested.

"Of course, there is the tale of an old cave with a stone that shone in the moonlight, but it existed before the four clans came to the lake. Wishstar earned her nine lives by traveling to the center island and sleeping over the stars. I will do the same." said Wyverncry.

"You should warn Molestar, first," advised Snowtail, flicking her tail and licking Cherryleaf's ear in goodbye, who purred back. "I have to go on the morning patrol, let's eat together at sunhigh, okay?" meowed the light gray she-cat, as Cherryleaf nodded in agreement.

"I should warn him,..." agreed Wyverncry, and Cherryleaf turned to him, yawning. "You should get some sleep," he advised her, as she replied briefly in agreement and padded away towards the warrior's den.

Flamepaw looked up at the bulky dark gray warrior. This one looked back with slight unease. Wyverncry didn't want to leave Flamepaw alone in such dangerous times, with Fangstar still prowling the forest.

"Flamepaw, go alert your mentor. You'll be accompanying me on my journey." stated Wyverncry, as the apprentice's face lit up, forgetting about the meeting he had with Luciddreams at sunhigh. "Also, alert Tornear and Darkshadow. They'll guard the entrance to the island while we'll be on it."

Amazed, and puzzled by the honor, Flamepaw nodded quickly and turned around, sprinting off to do as he'd been ordered. Wyverncry let out a small purr of amusement, and, giving Wishstar one last silent goodbye, headed off towards Molestar's den as the elders began dragging her away from camp.

*****

"I forbid you to go on that journey!" snarled Molestar, his pelt bristling as he faced Wyverncry, who was showing no signs of emotion. A fear swept over Molestar. If Wyverncry were to earn his nine lives, there might be a chance that he'd desire to leave him to restore Halfclan, and his glorious days of powerful leadership would be over.

Also, Fangstar might try and ally with him, which could lead to the destruction of his clan, and maybe his life. Deep down, Molestar feared that if Wyverncry earned his nine lives, he would become more powerful than Molestar himself.

"There is one clan, Flameclan, and I am it's leader! I repeat, you will not go on that voyage, and even less with my son!" spat the spotted tom, as Wyverncry spoke up.

"Having a powerful warrior by your side with nine lives could be a great asset if a fight with Fangstar ever happens again," meowed wisely the dark gray cat. Molestar pondered a moment about this, his pelt lowering.

"That's true...but I still forbid you to take my son with you! That journey is too dangerous for an apprentice!" said harshly Molestar, his dark eyes glittering dangerously. Again, Wyverncry's reply was calm and thought out.

"If we are attacked, it's essential we not only have warriors, but an apprentice that can alert back to camp in a flash. Flamepaw, even if small, must be one of the fastest apprentice we have, Molestar." reasoned the tom.

Finally, Molestar gave in, not wanting to act like he favored his son's safety over any other apprentice. "Fine, take him along with you, and hurry back. The more warriors I have at my disposition, the less Fangstar is a threat."

"We'll be back before tomorrow at sunhigh, Molestar."

"Then you better hurry up and go now." replied the leader, as Wyverncry nodded, turned around and padded out of the leader's den.