Eight - "Reality, Potatoes and Custard."

Hello everyone!

Welcome to another update of Sunny Side Up, Honey!

This chapter is dedicated to iRainbow, a.k.a Beth, for being such a great friend inside and outside of Wattpad. But I'd also like to thank all of you lovely people, for helping me reach over 2OO votes! It means so much to me! I was literally dancing when I recieved those amazing two votes that took me from 198 to 2OO (thankyou, LoHeartsYou!)!

I hope you enjoy this chapter, and, as usual, the 'cliffie at the end! (-:

 ~Chloe<3(-;

~*~*~

Eight – “Reality, Potatoes and Custard.”

Noelle

“Well, ladies, as much as I’ve enjoyed your company these past few hours, I really need to go,” Jake announced as he stood up from the couch. In all fairness, the guy had spent around two hours listening intently, quite amused, at times, to the banter between Lucie and I.

“See you soon!” With a quick kiss to Lucie, and a cheeky wink to me, Jake left the house quickly. Very quickly, to the close observer. Which, of course, I was.

Well, Lucie was getting onto the subject of periods, for some unknown reason, and I guess that would make any normal guy want to escape. Smart guy, I guess.

Lucie sighed hopelessly. “Isn’t he just the sweetest, hottest and most considerate guy that you’ve ever met?” She asked, as her eyes glazed over like a lovesick puppy. “I’m so lucky,” She breathed.  I muttered thanksto the ceiling – Lucie had forgotten about the period topic in her ‘Jake-Fever’.

“You do know that Jake has only agreed to ‘give it a go’, right?” I asked her sceptically. Honestly? I didn’t think that the ‘relationship’ between Lucie and Jake would last very long. My expert guess was that this whole charade would last a month or two, at the most.

Why that small amount of time, you ask?

 Lucie was . . . needy. Then there was Jake, who gave off the vibe of an utterly proud, very experienced, bad-boy player. In my opinion, it was like mixing potatoes with custard. Not that I’m saying that Lucie is a potato, or Jake some custard, though. But, saying that, I guess Lucie would make a cute potato, and Jake a hot dollop of custard!

“Hey, Noey, I’ve just thought!” Lucie burst out excitedly, completely ignoring my comment. “We should have a proper sleepover, like old times! Not like last night, I mean the real, teenage kind, with the pizza, confessions and cheesy movies! Please, Noey?”

Don’t say yes to her, you’ll regret it. Remember last time? Lucie nearly set the house on fire, and you accidentally chopped off a load of her hair, instead of the ‘trim’ she asked for. Say yes now and karma will screw you up.

“I don’t really . . .” I trailed off. If karma was going to screw me up, it could possibly mean that I wouldn’t have to spend any more time with Adam, right? “Oh, fine!” I grumbled, instantly regretting it. Why was I such a weak-willed pushover when it came to Lucie?

Let’s get this show on the road,Noey. See what you think when your life is, yet again, a useless mess. Try not to cry as much as last time, hon.  

Did I happen to mention that I hate my conscience?

~*~*~

“Oh my gosh, that was so sad!” Lucie bawled, as the ending credits of the classic ‘chick-flick’ film Ghost, starring Patrick Swayze,rolled up. She blew her nose into the tissue she was clutching. I grabbed a tissue and wiped my eyes, too – the film got both Lucie and I every time we watched it, which was at least once a month. It had gotten to the stage we could actually quote lines from it, though usually we were too engrossed to do so.

“I wish that sometime in the future, Jake and I could have a relationship like that. Y’know, with all that love never dies stuff,” Lucie said, sniffling.  I silently nodded in agreement, which Lucie unfortunately noticed.

“Noelle, speaking about love and relationships . . . you didn’t actually tell me what is going on between you and Adam. Care to share?” Lucie grinned at me, quickly grabbing the television remote, putting the sound on mute. We were snuggled up in my bed, and had been watching our all-time favourite movies all night. “I’m all ears,” She said, hopeful.

“There isn’t much to tell, honestly, Luce. In a nutshell: We met at Libby’s party, almost went to bed, that was, until you showed up. Then today, he came around, kissed me by force, then flirted, we made the ‘deal’ – purely out of convenience – and now he is going to be my roommate. We’re just going to be friends.” I replied in a garbled rush. The last sentence was more about convincing myself, rather than Lucie; but she was too busy analyzing what I had just said to notice my almost chant-like tone.

“I think you should just let him love you, Noey.”

What?” I screeched, overcome with surprise. “Lucie, what the hell are you talking about? Love? Please, I’ve known the guy for around 24 hours! This isn’t some sappy film, where the main couple fall in love after five minutes! This is reality!”

“It doesn’t have to be in a film, or a book, to find love, Noelle,” Lucie said softly. “All it takes is the right people, and the right thinking.”

“Lucie, they may just be the wisest words I have ever heard come out of your big mouth, asides from all those movie quotes. But . . .”

Lucie smiled, but I could see it was strained. “But what, Noey? You just said my words were smart! Smart people’s words don’t have ‘buts’ as replies!” She put her hand over her heart dramatically, looking out through the window wistfully.

“But, Lucie, I don’t believe any of it.”

For once, it was Lucie who sighed, and not me. “Thing is, to not believe in something, you have to choose not to. Which you, Noelle, obviously have. I understand that after . . . Cameron, you’ve been reluctant to date, to love. But that was three years ago, Noelle. You need to start living your life again, starting opening your heart fully again, or you’ll never be truly happy. I know that after the amazing speech you’re going to say that Adam doesn’t love you, so it’s pointless, and I know that is the truth. But it doesn’t have to stay that way, Noey. In time, you could both be the happiest people in the world. All you have to do is try hard enough.” 

“Goodnight Lucie,” I said, choosing not to reply to her ‘amazing speech’. I flicked the switch on the lamp beside my bed, and we both snuggled into the covers.

“Night, Noey. Remember to think about what I said.” Came Lucie’s slightly late reply, muffled against the covers.

She didn’t have to remind me, though. Lucie’s words were etched into my brain all night.

~*~*~

I groaned loudly as the sudden, annoying bleep of my cell phone woke me up. Groggily, I fumbled around, my hands closing on the smooth gadget that had taken me months to save up for. I rubbed my eyes, finding that the clock in the corner of the bright screen read 8:30am, and the notifications told me I had one new message.

I directed myself to the inbox, finding I had a text from an unknown number. I selected the message, and read:

Noelle, I told parents about the deal. Had a small change of plans about the move, not my fault! Meet at Starbucks 2day @ 11am – it’s time for you to meet my mom.

Adam.

P.S. if you value your life: look nice, act nice, and for my sake, Noelle, please eat nice!