Chapter Ten

One week later...

Colton had left after that day for Las Vegas again and left his ring sitting in the mirror assuming Kayla would have it cleaned up. He was half right; she had the glass cleaned up off the floor so no one would cut his or her feet, but she left his ring stuck in the back of the mirror. The kids asked but Kayla kept dodging the question and then one day Charlotte watched the news and saw her father in Las Vegas without his wedding ring on. Kayla knew that the fireworks were just beginning. Charlotte had the exact same temper that Colton had and sometimes her's was worse.

"What the fuck!" she roared from her bedroom. Kayla was standing in the kitchen with her mother, Jane and her sister, Ashley and waited for Charlotte to bring her storm. Jane's hair was still as blonde as usual but shorter now and Ashley's hair was just as long as Kayla's.

Jane had never actually witnessed a Charlotte temper tantrum and Ashley was all too familiar with them. Mikey and Ryder were sitting in the living room that was attached to the kitchen and looked over at their mother. Charlotte's stomping footsteps were heard throughout the house and Kayla's wedding China was shaking in the cabinet. Everyone could hear banging and tables falling as Charlotte thundered down the hallways. Doors were banging and there were loud mumbles coming from her mouth that were only somewhat muted from the banging.

"Should we leave?" Mikey asked looking at his mother. There was fear in his voice and he and Ryder looked at each other with horrified look on their faces.

"I would if I could," Kayla said sighing. If only she could run to her room like her sons, she would have been out of the kitchen already. Ryder jumped over the couch and Mikey ran across the ottoman sitting in front of the sectional they were sitting on and they ran out of the room as quickly as they could. Charlotte came running down the stairs off to the side in the kitchen and was fuming.

"What the fuck mom! Why doesn't dad have his wedding ring?" she yelled at her mother. Kayla couldn't help but notice that Charlotte had the exact same temper has her father.

"It's in the sitting room," Kayla said calmly. They had tried to get her temper under control but everything they did never worked and they eventually gave up on it. Her temper was just too crazy to attempt to control. Kayla knew that was one of the biggest mistakes she had made as a parent. She should have put Charlotte in anger management classes when she was young but she always hoped that Charlotte would grow out of it. Clearly she was wrong. Jane was sitting in shock at her granddaughter and the way she was speaking, but Ashley sat in her stool drinking her wine and filled up Kayla's glass as well.

"What do you mean?" she said glaring at her mother. Kayla knew Charlotte blamed her for the breakdown of their marriage. She always took her father's side and Kayla began to stop trying to change her opinion of her a long time ago, sometimes Kayla even believed she was the reason her marriage was falling apart.

"I'll show you." Kayla walked into the sitting room and pointed at the mirror that was hanging across the large room. Charlotte followed her mother and Jane and Ashley quickly jumped off their seats to see what she was talking about. Charlotte crossed her arms and huffed and puffed before she walked over to the mirror. When she did she saw the familiar wedding ring her father always wore stuck in the back of the mirror. For Charlotte, her father not wearing his wedding ring made the separation and impending divorce even more real. She didn't want her parents to divorce, she had friends whose parents had divorced and they always said their family was never the same afterwards. Charlotte didn't want her family to change; she loved them the way they were.

"What did you say to him to make him do this?" Charlotte said turning around to scowl at her mother. Jane was about to say something to her granddaughter, but Ashley grabbed her arm and she pulled her out of the sitting room so they could have some privacy. Kayla sat down on one of the couches and motioned for Charlotte to join her. She hesitated at first and then sat on the furthest part of the couch.