Chapter 5

It was already dark outside by the time Elena had finally woken up. She groaned quietly, scratching the back of her head. What had happened? Blinking a couple of times, she slipped out of the bed, grabbing the nightstand to steady herself. The room was spinning.

''Come on, Gilbert.. Get it together.'' She muttered before shuffling over to the door. She opened it silently and turned to close it. As she was about to walk away, she bumped straight into Stefan. If it wasn't for his strong arms that grabbed her instantly, she'd be lying on the ground right now. ''Oh, Stefan.. Sorry.'' She quickly apologized. Stefan's brows furrowed and he just shook his head before walking off.

Cocking her head to the side, Elena watched him leave. What was wrong with him? This wasn't the Stefan she knew. Well, she didn't know him anyway. She knew the new Stefan. The Stefan from the future. Though, she knew that Stefan, nor this one was rude.

She hesitated for a moment before staggering after him, her plumb lower lip curled between her teeth. Elena hopped down the stairs, expecting to find Stefan downstairs but he was nowhere to be seen. She emitted a soft sigh, lifting a hand to rake her fingers through her hair. He had to be somewhere. It's not like people just magically disappeared. Oh well, she'd ask him about it later.

Elena turned around to walk back upstairs just before she noticed a dim light shining from underneath the door of the study room. Drawing in a deep breath, she tried gathering her courage before lifting her fist and knocking quietly. She heard some muffled sounds coming from the other side of the door and some shuffling feet before someone yanked the door open.

She was surprised not to see Stefan, but Damon in the doorway. ''Hey, Damon.'' She said, offering him a soft smile. ''Hey.'' He replied, confusing her greatly by averting his gaze. ''Can I come in?'' He nodded once and stepped to the side, letting her through before closing the door again.

Elena crossed her arms in front of her physique, brows raised questioningly as she looked from one Salvatore brother to the other. ''So what's going on?'' She asked after a moment of silence.

The youngest Salvatore brother just shrugged as he chewed his lower lip, glancing sideways at Damon who was leaning against the wall.

Thick brows raised skywards and he looked between the two of Damon before breathing out in a huff. ''What?''

''Just tell her already, Damon. It doesn't matter anymore.'' Stefan said.

Damon lowered his gaze and he played with the hem of his shirt, still refusing to look Elena in the eye. ''I just..''

''You just?'' Eyeing Damon curiously, Elena smiled reassuringly, even though she knew he couldn't see her.

Stefan rolled his eyes briefly as his brother remained silent and he turned to look at Elena. ''He thought you felt the same for him as he did for you.''

Well that wasn't what she expected to hear. Elena's mouth gaped slightly as she looked at the two of them, clearly confused.

Damon gritted his teeth and pushed himself away from the wall, brushing past Elena on his way out.

Quickly, Elena snapped out of her daze and she swiftly turned around, grabbing him by his arm. She could feel his muscles twitch underneath his shirt as she touched him.

He froze on the spot. ''What, Elena?'' He spat, his voice cold.

Dropping her arm to her side as if she'd just gotten electrocuted, she backed away from him, her eyes brimming with unshed tears as she stammered. ''I-I..''

''You what, Elena?'' He said, now turning to look at her. He gave her a puzzled expression as her eyes brimmed with tears. ''Elena..''

She just shook her head as she continued to back away, her chest heaving as her breath came in rapid spurts. What had she done that made him react this way?

His eyes softened. He hated seeing her upset. Damon shook his head lightly, slowly approaching her. ''I'm sorry..''

A tear slowly trickled down her cheek and he moved to wrap his muscular arms around her trembling form, pulling her close to him.

Elena buried her face in his shirt as she broke out into a sob, clinging onto him as he stroked her hair.

Damon just stood there, holding her in his arms as she cried. He was confused, that for sure, but he'd figure it out. She obviously cared about what he thought of her. Otherwise she wouldn't have reacted so.. Well, the way she had.

He rubbed his palm along the length of her spine in a soothing manner as he blurted out, ''I'm sorry..''

Shaking her head lightly, Elena wiped her tears away. ''I-It's fine..'' she muttered weakly, averting her gaze.

''No..'' Damon said as he pulled back to look at her. ''Not only for what just happened.. I wanted to apologize for what happened this afternoon too. I shouldn't have kissed you. It was silly.''

Elena's body stiffened in his arms, and she furrowed her brows. ''Uhm.. I haven't seen you all day until just a couple of minutes ago, Damon. I woke up on my bed and it was already dark outside.''

He tilted his head to the side, raising a brow. ''What are you talking about? I-''

She raised her eyebrows at him in return as if it was obvious.

''Katherine.''