Chapter 3

Elena extended her arm. ''Elena Gilbert, pleased to meet you.''

Damon took her hand in his own, pressing a feather light kiss to the top of her knuckles. ''It's a pleasure to meet you, Elena.'' He lifted his gaze to meet hers. ''I'm Damon.''

''Damon..'' Elena said, a soft smile gracing her features. She nodded and tilted her head to the side. ''Does it come with a last name?''

He grinned. ''Salvatore. As in savior.''

...

''And this,'' Damon said as he stood in front of a big, brown, mahogany door. ''Is my bedroom.'' And with those words he swung the door open, stepping aside to let Elena through.

Slowly, Elena stepped inside, the twitch of a smile etching at the corner of her mouth as she looked around.

Inclining his head towards the side, Damon let his eyes wander up and down her frame. She really was a vision standing before him.

As she caught him looking at her, a light shade of pink spread upon her cheeks and she looked away.

Damon grinned, finding it adorable when she blushed. Something stirred deep inside of him. A feeling he'd never felt before. At least, not that strong. Confusion covered his features for a split second before he smiled at her.

''So, I suppose you are not from around here?'' Damon motioned with his head towards Elena's clothes.

Elena looked down to see what clothes she was wearing before she answered his question, speaking hesitatingly. ''No.. I'm not from around.'' She said, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

Damon nodded, more to himself than Elena, and cocked his head to the side. ''How old are you exactly?'

Shifting on the spot, Elena pursed her lips into a tight line. She knew she couldn't give him too much information. Yet, she answered his question. It was like she wasn't responsible for her own actions. "I'm eighteen."

"Ah.." Damon replied as he studied her closely. She was noticeably growing more nervous by the second.

Elena smiled nervously and muttered under her breath. "You asks might lot of questions, Salvatore."

His brows knitted together. "I'm sorry." He said, lowering his gaze.

Elena narrowed her brows in return, slowly walking over to him. She lifted her hand to cradle his cheek. "Don't be.." She whispered.

A rather sad smile graced lips, and he lightly placed his hand on hers. It felt.. Odd having someone actually care for him. "Why are you so.. Worried about how I think of something?''

Emitting a soft sigh, Elena wrapped her arms around his waist, hugging his body close to her.

Automatically, Damon moved to wrap his muscular arms around her petit form, rubbing the palm of his hand soothingly along the length of her spine. "Are you okay?"

Elena nodded against his chest. "Yes.. I just don't really know how to explain this to you. Let's say that there's a lot you don't know about me.."

Damon stayed quiet for so long that Elena glanced up at him, trying to read his face.

Shaking his head, Damon took her hand in his, entwining their fingers. "Let's go for a walk, okay?"

Elena gave his hand a gentle squeeze.

A slight smile tugged at Damon's lips, and together they headed towards the front door.

Damon let go of Elena's hand to open the door.

As Elena stepped outside, she instantly bumped into someone. She blinked rapidly as she stumbled backwards.

''Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't see you.'' Someone said. Elena instantly recognized the voice.

She lowered her gaze, muttering. ''It's fine..''

"No, it's not.'' The young man said. ''I should have paid more attention to where I was going.''

Elena shook her head and looked up, chocolate orbs meeting emerald hues. She gave the guy in front of her a reassuring smile. ''Don't worry about it, Stefan.''

Stefan blinked at her, the confusion clear on his face. ''How do you know my name?''

''Oh, uhm.. Your father has mentioned it a couple of times when we were talking.'' She nodded.

''Of course he has..'' Stefan rolled his eyes in a playful manner, yet not breaking eye contact with Elena.

Suddenly, Elena felt Damon's hand close around her wrist. He started dragging her with him. ''Let's go..'' He muttered as he brushed past his brother.

Elena flashed an apologetic smile in Stefan's direction and she followed Damon.

Damon paused as they reached the entrance to the drive, where an unfamiliar coach was standing. He stared at it with curiosity. They rarely had any visitors.

A white-haired coachman jumped out of the driver's seat and opened the cab. A pale woman with cascading dark curls stepped out. She wore a billowing white dress, cinched at her narrow waist with a peach-colored ribbon. A matching peach hat was perched atop her head, obscuring her eyes.

As if she knew she was being watched, she turned around.

Even from where he was standing, Damon noticed the resemblance between the young woman standing before him and the one standing beside him. Clearly, he'd not been the only one who noticed.

Elena had stopped in her tracks and stiffened beside him, staring wide-eyed at the figure standing before them. She seemed to recognize her.

Gently, Damon nudged Elena's side with his elbow and she turned to face him. ''Do you know her?'' He asked.

Elena looked at him, dumbfounded before she found her voice. ''N-No.. I.. Just.. She looks..''

''Yeah, I know.'' Damon nodded, his brows narrowing.

''Hello!'' she called and darted over to them.

''Hello..'' Damon muttered. As he breathed, he smelled a heady combination of ginger and lemon.

''I'm Katherine Pierce. And you are?''