29: The Hall of Midgarson

"All right. You lot wait just outside the archway. When it sounds like he's good and distracted, go – and don't look back."

They collected their packs, unbolted the door and left their safe haven. Ciara had expected a fire attack straight away, but there was nothing, just empty, silent stone rooms. They darted through corridors, heading in the general direction of the throne room in the hope that they would find it. It felt like they were getting hopelessly lost, like the place had turned into a maze, when she finally saw a burst of fire.

"Look!" she whispered. The walls of a tunnel were glowing orange. "That way."

They crept down the passage, setting their feet down in a silent hunter's tread.

The archway loomed. Everyone but Ciara flattened themselves against the wall. She locked eyes with Fell and he nodded.

Armed and ready, she walked out into the throne room. A man was sprawled out across Hati's throne, draped in a robe so dark it could have been weaved from the essence of the night sky itself. His black hair was long, his crossed legs dangled over an arm of the throne and he held a slender glass of red wine in one hand.

"See, this is what I like about humans. Possibly their only redeeming quality," he said, eyes on the wine. "The excellent wine. Want any, Embla?"

She didn't know whether to laugh or not. "I'm afraid I don't have time to get drunk, Hati."

"But you do. You have all the time in the world." He looked a little like Ask, only his face was more... wolfish. Wild.

"I've got to say, your hair is better than mine," Ciara remarked, trying to keep him in a good mood.

He gave a lupine grin. "Thank you." Tossing stray strands over one shoulder, he raised the glass to his lips.

Ciara risked a glance back at the archway which Fell was peering around incredulously. He swiftly withdrew and she returned her attention to Hati.

"So, are you still going to refuse to listen to us?"

"I may have shifted into a rather attractive human but I am still the same wolf, dear. My decision hasn't changed."

Changing tactics, Ciara strolled across the throne room, keeping clear of the fire. Hati had one dark-red eye on her. "Tell us where your brother is."

Hati laughed softly. He had chosen to keep the long canines. "He is nowhere. He is everywhere. I cannot tell you, because he's always on the move. We guardians have bodies and duties to uphold, too, you know. Searching for us would be a wild goose chase."

"That's why we came to you. But you let us down."

He sipped more wine. "Pity."

She was starting to lose patience. "Can't you just... summon him? Your brother?"

"I'd rather not. He can be very annoying sometimes."

"So you won't help us at all?"

"Let me think. No. Ask one more time and I will turn you to ashes on my floor."

Recklessness seized her. She pulled a bola from her belt and flung it.

Glass shattered. Hati almost fell out of his throne in shock as wine exploded everywhere.

"Go!" Ciara shouted, running towards the guardian and bracing herself. Fell shot out of the archway, leading the others as they sprinted across the throne room.

Hati dived for her. His fingers closed around her chin, forcing her face up. His thumb pressed against her windpipe.

"You little sneak," he hissed. "That was some of my best wine."