Bullying You

In the nick of time, the doorbell rang and the little devils ran to the door. I really hope that isn’t Duke. I am sure the children will give a bad report. I mean, they stare at me like I am a toe infection.

As if He heard my prayers, the guy staring at me wasn’t Duke. He did have brown hair like Duke’s but it wasn’t shiny. I stared at his faded jeans and plaid shirt. Where does he get his clothes from? I heard a throat clear and I looked back at his face. He looks so familiar.

“Well. Well. If it isn’t the chocolate thrower.” Just my luck. He was the guy that was selling those chocolates a few weeks ago. Why does life do this do me? I keep running into people that hate me, nowadays. Where did Karma go wrong?

“Yeah, about that -” I stared into his brown eyes before sincerely apologizing. He scoffed at my comment before taking the deaf girl into his arms. Well, just ignore me then.

I felt my heart tug as I saw him tickling the little girl and her laugh. It was beautiful. Oh my gawd! I have a heart. I am really changing. Unconsciously, I clapped my hands. I saw all of them look at me with their eyebrows scrunched up and looking at me like I was an alien.

Awkwardly, I lowered my  hands to my sides and stepped in front of the chocolate seller. “I was just -never mind- I am Jan.” He gave him a flat look before replying “I know who you are.” I would have given him my sparkly white smile if it wasn’t for the dejected look on his face.

“So, who are you?” I hoped I could pull him for a conversation. He ignored me and went up the stairs.

Well, thanks a lot. This was what I got for being nice?

Before he climbed the next step, he turned around connecting his blue eyes with mine. He talked to me for the first time “what are you doing here?”

I looked around the room to find the bug brats staring at me “volunteering.” I turned my attention back to him to see one of his eyebrows raised. A smirk appeared on his face as his eyes lite up “are you sure Duke isn’t the reason?”

I folded my arms on my chest and glared at him, “no, I am not that desperate.” That was totally a lie. As if he knew, he shook his head and went up the stairs.

I turned my attention back to the children to see him staring at me with bug eyes. “So, do you guys want to play tag?” They started running around in circles and I sighed deeply. I hope this really, really is helpful in “seducing” Duke. Speaking of Duke, where was he?

“Right behind you.” I jumped in shock and turned around to see Duke right there. He had a blank face with his hands in his pockets. Well, nice to see you, too.

“what are you doing here?” I stared at him and cheekily replied “not partying.” He rolled his eyes before

picking up the youngest child, Emily. I felt my heart soar as I saw him teasing and tickling her.