16

Like a button had been pressed, the office floor filled with the sound of gunshots and screaming as the four of us gripped each other. Instantly the same terror from last night appeared on all our faces as we froze. We were trapped, there was no way out of the office without stepping into the gunfire.

"That's them. They're here for her. You shouldn't have brought them here!" Trey shouted as he pressed the phone to his ear with his shoulder and began to tear open his office drawers until he found a silver handgun and a box of bullets. Still keeping the phone pressed to his ear, he loaded the gun. "Yes, this is Trey Maxfield from section zero-one-one-zero-one. The Emergence has begun, and I need the coordinates for the safe house," He said as Pluto watched him anxiously.

"Tell them to hurry. We're running out of time!" He yelled, but Trey ignored him as he placed the now loaded gun down on the desk and grabbing a notepad. As he did, the gun fire began to grow louder, meaning it was likely getting closer.

"Pluto, we need to go! Now!" Toby insisted.

"I need the coordinates first!" Pluto shouted back as Trey started to write on the pad, but he only got a couple of numbers in before the sound of glass shattering was heard, and bullets began to rain down in the office. Immediately, the four of us dropped down to the ground behind the desk but it was to late for Trey. By the time he hit the ground he had been shot multiple times.

"They shot him! They shot him! Oh my gosh, we're going to die!" Naomi screamed, completely beside herself with terror as we huddled together tightly behind the desk.

"Naomi close your eyes and shut up!" Toby shouted, quickly covering her mouth as bullets whizzed past the desk. It sounded like there was more than one gun out there.

"Trey! Trey I need the coordinates! I need you to give me the coordinates!" I could hear Pluto shouting as he dove next to Trey where he collapsed and shook him. "Trey please! I can't get them somewhere safe without it! Trey!" He shouted, making my blood run cold. I didn't need to be told how bad our current situation was and I knew it was going to get worse when the gunfire stopped, and the office went quiet once again.

For a long moment, all of us paused, barely breathing. Then, slowly Pluto got up. Following suit, we started to get up as well. "The s-shooting stopped." Gemma whispered but Pluto held up a hand for silence.

"The shooting may have stopped but their still here,'' He said quietly as the dark silhouette of a large man walked by the office window slowly. Through the torn blinds I caught glimpses of his black clothing and the gun he was carrying but I couldn't tell anything beyond that. As he walked by, his footsteps were the only thing we could hear until they stopped right outside the locked office door. Then he stopped.

"Do you think he knows we're in here?" I managed to choke out. I really hope Trey hadn't been serious about them looking for me, because it looked like they were about to find me.

Standing up slowly, Pluto turned back towards us. "When I say run, I want you to run." He whispered, then reaching for the fire extinguisher.

"Where?" Toby asked as I gripped his arm. Instead of answering him though, Pluto braced himself to use the fire extinguisher as whatever it was softly tapped on the glass.

"Abigail Williams." A metallic voice then rasped, and Gemma covered her mouth to sniffle a sob as she used her other hand to grab me hard. Silence. Once again it tapped on the glass, only harder this time. "Abigail Williams." It repeated and my entire body went numb from fear. The footsteps then began again and this time, it made its way over to the office window. For a long moment then, it stood there doing nothing, then when it seemed like he was going to go away he came crashing through the remains of glass and blinds.