Blood Flows

The dream that i had that night was strange. I dreamt that i was walking through a corn field barefoot with a thin white nightgown on. It was pitch black and i could barely see two feet in front of me. I continued to walk around aimlessly, my body moving almost as if on it's own accord. My mind had no idea what i was doing, where i was, or even where i was going. But my body... My body knew.

My feet walked themselves over discarded shucks of corn, ignoring the pain when i stepped on anything unpleasant. My legs followed unquestioningly, ignoring the burning ache in my thighs. My hips swayed with every step, my arms followed suit at my sides. Even my hair blew around my face with every gust of wind.

I blinked my eyes rapidly, tying to will them to adjust to the darkness. But they didn't have to. Several feet ahead of me i saw a glowing red light that flickered and swayed in the wind.

Fire.

My heart was pounding and the panic started to sink in. I started to gradually pick up speed. At first i was just walking very quickly but then without even realizing it, i was running. Only i wasn't running away from the fire that was spreading throughout the corn field, i was running straight towards it, straight into it. I was running through the flames and it wasn't hot, i wasn't in pain or burning. 'Right, because this is just a dream.' i thought to myself.

When i ran through it and got to the other side of the fire, there was a field. A circular field right in the center of the cornfield, and the fire circled it like a ring.  There in the center were three women standing with their backs to me, all dressed in black.

"Hear us, we the sisters three. Lost, you are inside this dream. You will not wake, yet dare you not sleep."  The one on the right said, turning her head slightly to the side so that i could hear her voice clearly but not see her face. The one in the middle turned her head.

"Hear us, we the sisters three. Retreat, recover, and save thy sheet; of velvet skin where blood doth flow, sickly sweet with reddish glow."

Finally the one on the end turned her head. "Hear us, we the sisters three. It's up to you, to live or die. Leave, and blood will flow, stay and you shall fry."

They each reached out and grabbed hands and as if on cue it began to rain. I looked up at the sky as the rain hit my face hoping that if not wake me, it would at least refresh me, and some of it dripped into my mouth. The taste was metallic, almost like the way a penny smells. I looked down at my hands and they were stained red.

Blood. It was raining blood.

"Hear us, we the sisters three." They were talking together now and yelling at what must have been the top of their lungs. "Demons are lured, attracted by thee. Beware the one who rules the land, he rules but not by his own hand. Your life means nothing before the king, your child can save you, it is the only thing. Run and hide but do not feel love, remove his mask and your life, it will be the end of."

They started to dance, spinning in circles, their feet pounding against the ground and sending the blood rain splashing all about. They flailed their arms and shook their hips to music that only they seemed to hear. Or maybe it was the music of this rain, this evil blood rain.

"Beware." one of them shouted, and the others followed suit. "Beware!" "Beware!" "Beware!" "Beware!" They stopped dancing and with them, stopped the rain. They were looking towards me now and i could see that none of them had faces.

I gasped and took a small step back. "Hear us, we the sisters three. Our final warning we give to thee." They each lifted their left hand and pointed it at me, tilting their faceless heads to the right. "He does not see you, he never will. You are merely.....his next kill."