Prologue

(NOT EDITED)

***

"Why do you even love me!?" she practically screamed at me. Her breath was ragged, as her chest heaved up and down. I don't even understand why she was so upset. I thought she had liked me. Big mistake.

        My eyes cast downwards, staring into her blazing hazel-blue eyes. "Do I need a reason to love you?" I asked, my voice coming out even and calm, the total opposite of what I was feeling right now. "I just do."

       She shook her head, probably regretting ever meeting me. "Y-you can't. You can't love me!" She ended her sentence with a cry. "You know what will happen."

       "Yes, and that's a risk I'm willing to take."

      "Well I'm not." Even though her voice was strong, her face told a different story. "I can't be with you," she whispered quietly under her breath.

      "Why not?" Of course, I knew the reason why. We both knew. She was human, and I well – I wasn't. And to make it worse, I was her protector. Her guardian angel to be specific.  

       "You know why."

       "I know, but –"

      "But what?" she interpreted. "Make it work? Hide in secret? How the hell are we suppose to do that? You're an angel for God sakes! There's no way I can be with you."

        Fighting back the tears, I stood strong. I couldn't cry. Not in front of her. I couldn't be the cry baby I was.

        "You never know," I began slowly, not wanting to upset her even more. "If two people are meant to be together then –"

         "And you think we're meant to be together?" 

         "Yes." There was no hesitation as I said that. I knew in my heart that I was deeply in love with her. She was my soul mate. The girl I was born to protect. Quite literary, actually. "Don't you?" 

         She opened her mouth, and then closed it, probably choosing her next words. She was always careful like that; over-analyzing everything. "Damian," she said, her voice laced with despondency. "We're not meant to be together. We're two different people. It's not going to work out."

        "You don't know that, we just have to try and –" 

       "Stop it," she snapped, cutting me off once again. "Don't you get it? If they found out, they will take away your wings. And then you will forever be trapped on earth. Do you want that to happen!?"

       "I don't care." I took her small delicate hands in mine, feeling the warmth her skin was radiating off. "Just as long as I get to be with you."

      "Yes, but I do," she concluded, pushing my hands away. Losing the warm feeling, my hands went back to their normal below freezing temperature. "I can't let you give up your wings for me. You can't. You worked too hard for them. And something like love shouldn't destroy that for you."

      "It's not destroying anything Kat," I told her, believing every word I was saying. "I don't care about my wings. I don't care if I'm stuck on earth. I don't care if they strip me of my powers. What's important is that I have you in my life, and if you just give me your love, I'll be complete."

       She looked away, as her dark bangs covered her right eye. "I-I don't know . . ."

      I automatically reached my hand out, pushing her bangs to the side, loving the feel of her soft skin under my cold fingers. 

     "Please think about it," I almost begged her. "Just please don't push me away. I-I know you love me just as much as I love you."

     It took a minute before she replied, but when she did, it broke my heart in to two. 

      "Damian. That's the thing. I don't." Her voice was monotone. Her tone lacking in any emotion. "I don't love you. We're not meant to be together and we're definitely not soul mates, or whatever utter bullcrap you were saying before."

      "Y-you don't mean that," I managed to choke out.  

      "I do," she said, reaching inside her coat pocket. Her hands squeezed the object before revealing it to me. "Here, take this."

       My eyes widened when I realized what it was. In her hands was the special wristwatch I'd given to her on the day we met. All guardian angels needed to give their 'human' this watch, otherwise their bond will be broken. Once it's broken, the human will slowly start losing their memories of his/her guardian, and within a month, their guardians will be invisible to them; like they were never there in the first place. 

      "B-but that's what ties us together." I couldn't believe it. Why was she doing this? I thought she loved me. I made sure she did before I decided to confess my love for her – before I gave up my wings for her.

       "I know, I don't need it anymore," she said, tossing the watch at me. I watched as the watch flew across the air, landing with a loud 'crack' on the concrete floor. My eyes watered as I saw the broken watch.

       Hearing her heels on the pavement, I knew she was walking away from me, away from our love. "Our time together is officially over. Goodbye Damian."

       March 8th, 2010 was the last time I ever saw Kat Winters. 

       It was also the last time I saw my white wings.

***

A/N: So any opinions? hate? like? 

If you did liked it, please press that little star button up there. You know you want to :P