Chapter 1

Two figures stood in the school yard. One was a large boy. He was scraped and bruised from head to toe and stood there panting, struggling to catch his breath. The other was a slim girl. She stood there, seemingly bored, not a hair out of place.

“You bitch!” shouted the boy as he charged.

He was quick and the brute force of his strength would have been able to dent a car. However his opponent merely stepped out of the way and kicked the boy in the back. He fell to the floor, winded. This was roughly how the rest of the match had gone, but this time he didn’t get back up.

‘Did you really think you could win? This is the third time this week,” came the soft, somehow commanding voice of the girl, “You’re pathetic!”

These kinds of fights were a regular occurrence at Katandra Nocens School for the Wayward. Proving yourself in a fight was how you achieved status. That was the only way you got any cred around here, but it was also how you made enemies.

The girl kicked him in the gut and walked off. The crowd parting so she could walk through, a mix of fear and respect in their eyes. The girl just walked on, her hands shoved deep into the pockets of her faded hoodie. The cord from her earphones stuck out from underneath the hood, although it wasn’t as though she was listening to anything in particular.

It was a while before she could no longer hear the buzz of the crowd behind her. Her pace slowed and she let out a deep sigh. Pulling the earphones out of her ears she stowed them in her pocket. If there was one thing she couldn’t stand it was being stared at.

The girl leant against the wall of the school gym and sunk to the floor. Suddenly a wave of nausea overcame her and she struggled to keep the lump in her throat down. The acidy taste in her mouth was unbearable. Spots danced before her eyes and there was a throbbing above her right eye.

“You ok?”

The girl looked up and visibly relaxed. Standing before her was a girl not much older than herself. She had ashen blonde hair that fell down her back in a mess of curls. Her emerald green eyes shone with earnest and, despite the purpling bruise on her cheek, she was quite beautiful.

"Oh, yeah. Hey Jasmine," she replied.

"Another fight!" Jasmine scolded, "You never learn. Do you Lotti?"

"It's Charlotte," she growled quietly.

"Whatever you say."

The two sat silently as Charlotte waited for the world to stop spinning. The only sound was the low murmur of students in the distance and the breeze that rolled through the school.

Charlotte looked across the yard to the school building. Looking at her reflection she sighed.

Her chocolate brown hair flew about her in the wind and a few strands clung to her face. She was pale and a cold sweat sapped her body of its strength. Staring into her own eyes she cringed. It was her eyes that she hated most. The deep violet depths shot through with specs of silver.

-------------

All constructive criticism and ideas for the next chapters are always welcome in the comments!