Monotony

Welcome to the first official chapter!

Hope you enjoy! Now have at it fellow readers cx

All Rights Reserved

Evelyn sits watching the world pass before her, the bench providing little warmth from the bitting autumn wind but she doesn't mind as leaves twirl from their branches floating carelessly free in a dance of change, of death.

The brilliant falling colors calm and soothe her rambling mind whilst passerby give her the sense of not being alone even though it beats within, just below the surface.

Arms crossed over her breast she sighs and a puff of translucent vapor escapes and floats before her face, slowly fading.

The fatigue of everyday life has brought her to the brink, the edge of sanity.

The monotony grows evermore annoyingly unbearable with each passing day.

The pressure of classes, the constant need for perfection in dance, the best-isn't-good-enough mentality of her parents, the struggle to fit in has left her weary and downtrodden, unsure of herself.

Evelyn smiles tilting her face skyward gazing into the greying clouds waiting for the rain, ready even.

A sick day is just what I needed.

She thought as she watched the clouds drifting lazily across the skyscape with the wind, voices ramble about her mind disturbing the calm and she settles on the tail end of her morning chat with her parents.

"I'm taking a sick day." Evelyn says abruptly.

Her mother ceases her endless babbling and her father lies the daily paper down.

"You're what?!"

Her mother asks shrilly and her father nods in agreement.

Standing Evelyns' chair sounds a hundred times louder than usual as it slides away from the table.

"I'm taking a sick day."

Turning she exits the dinning room, her heart in her throat, and her mother follows screeching about failing, drop-out, shamed.

Halting, Evelyn turns on her mother angered.

"Do you ever shut up for two seconds?" Spinning on her heel Evelyn leaves her mother gaping dumbstruck as the door slams.

Chuckling Evelyn remembers vividly the likeness her mother shared with a fish gasping for air as her cherry red lips opened and closed speechless.

Then, grabbing her attention, a single white speck floats delicately down spinning, flipping, twirling before finally evening out and in that moment the most peculiar thing happened.

Well, two actually.

Evelyn saw every line etched into that teeny snowflake even down to its' intricate design and to her it was the most beautiful specimen on the planet, until that is, something more unusual caught her attention.

A woman, clothed in a white cotton gown, stands at the ponds' edge gazing into its' murky waters.

Her alabaster skin glows faintly even though the sun hasn't shone itself for days and her blonde hair gleams of something otherworldly.

She appeared lost, deeply thinking as if troubled and an aura of urgency surrounds her.

Whirling she glides around the edge of the pond her long gown billowing about her bare feet, never once do they touch the ground.

The mesmerizing woman turns abruptly gliding across the water, leaving it undisturbed and straight at Evelyn.

Amazed, Evelyn looks about her to see if anyone had noticed this strange phenomenon, but people continue on their way unbeknownst to what had just occurred so she sits straight determined to watch the ghostly apparition for as long as possible.

For no apparent reason the lady stops staring at Evelyn with cold dark eyes empty of any light, any life.

As Evelyn gazes into the seemingly evil eyes something stirs and it grips her heart in a chilling embrace as a grief so painful it washes over Evelyn like a roaring fire.

Tears sting her eyes as the anguish of a great loss and morbid fear fills her being so forcefully she forgot that these feelings were not hers.

Anger so powerful it sucks all air from her lungs and she is consumed by a hatred that scratches at her soul so deeply there seems to only be infernal torment.

Tears spill over Evelyns’ eyelids as her gaze stays transfixed upon the womans’ and a hopelessness folds over every other emotion with a thick heaviness.

Just as it felt she could no longer bare it, there lighting icy soft on her hand the single glittering snowflake from before, its' chilly touch driving out all the fear and pain.

Sighing Evelyn feels all the anxiety ebbing as the little icy star melts upon her creamy skin. 

Free of all the heavy emotional fog that threatened to eat her up Evelyn is able to refocus.

She blinks and gazes about her, searching for the ghostly girl who had vanished leaving a fading silvery mist.

Quickly glancing around she sees a soft white glow coming from within the thick dark forest that surrounds the city.

Standing she jogs to the edge of the wood debating whether or not to follow. The forest is vast and one can easily lose their way, not to mention the wild animals the shadows hide.

Evelyn watches the foggy cloud fade as the apparition delves deeper into the blackness. Looking about she shifts from foot to foot weighing her options to entering.

She might find this ghostly woman or she might very well wind up lost and wander for days in an endless throng of trees within a dangerous and supposedly haunted forest.

Staring into what could only be likened to a black hole curiosity gets the best of her and taking a breath, Evelyn dashes into the abyss leaving all rational thought behind.

All Rights Reserved