20 | Letters From Elle

Just letting you know, that when I use the word 'awesome' in the third paragraph of this chapter, I mean 'awesome' as 'awe striking,' not 'awesome' as in 'cool.' Just thought I'd point that out! (: Enjoy the last chapter! If there are any plot holes that you noticed throughout the story, PLEASE let me know so that I can make note of it and fix it in the second draft. (:

And seriously. This was the hardest that I've ever had to try for an ending. I don't think it's a good ending, but I don't know how else to end it? I'm open to ideas for the second draft, haha. I just feel like the ending isn't strong at all. And I researched a lot for Jake's medical illness, but if you see anything faulty--like if you're a psychologist and I have this all wrong--let me know, because I'd like to be as accurate as possible in Jake's diagnosis.

                        TWENTY

                        LETTERS FROM ELLE

                                    ♡ ♡ ♡

“Are you sure you’re up to this?” I ask, looking up at Jeremy. He looks great for a guy with a cast on his leg. His brown hair is swept up the side of his face, allowing his piercing green eyes to be seen by everyone. I’ve always admired and loved his eyes; they’re the defining attribute about him. They’re gorgeous. “No one forced you into this. You don’t have to be here. We can just skip out and get something to eat.”

            Jer seems to hesitate for a moment, pausing. His crutches hold up his weight, and I think he uses them more for his own comfort than because of the doctor’s orders. It must be relieving for him to finally be able to relax a little, especially after everything that happened with Jake.

            July 17th, 2009. A day that’s so . . . so horrible. And now it’s January 13th, 2011. It’s sort of awesome in a sense that it doesn’t feel like an entire year that Elle’s died. It feels like a lifetime since I knew her, and just a little over a year ago seems terribly unreal and unbelievable. 

            Eventually, Jer turns his attention toward me, his gaze persistent and persevering. “I’m sure,” he says. His voice is steady, not wavering, and I’m surprised. Proud, even.

            I reach out and squeeze his bicep in a friendly, assuring manner. “I’m glad, Jer. You need this. Closure, I mean.”

            He nods.

                                    ♡ ♡ ♡

The funeral was subtle with only family members and close friends on Marnie. Some of her friends from her old town came to the funeral, and I got to meet a few of them. They were like me, in a sense. Quiet yet observing. Marnie seemed to have a trend in who she chose to be her friends.

            Once the funeral is over, Marnie’s mom Lisa comes to talk with me. Marnie’s dad is here as well, but he’s talking to some of Marnie’s other family members. Just like any regular day, Lisa’s blond hair is carefully curled and placed strategically on her shoulders. Or maybe that’s just what she wants me to see. Maybe she wants everybody to see her as the woman who’s always got it together and is always on top of things when really she’s even more heartbroken as the person next to her. She’s ready to change out of her everyday attire and plop down on the couch and sob her heart out.

            “Waverly,” she says tenderly, her voice soft for once in her lifetime. “I’m glad you could make it.” Her eyes travel over toward Jer who’s awkwardly standing next to me, silent as ever. “You too, Jeremy. You were always a nice young man. You were good for Marnie.” Her eyes soften when she talks to him.