Chapter 7- Personal Space Doesn't Exist Here

Chapter 7 – Personal Space Doesn't Exist Here

           "I knew nothing but shadows and I thought them to be real..."

-Oscar Wilde

           Believe me, if I had my choice, I'd avoid people like the plague. But like I always say, the universe is out to conspire against me. Always. The universe hates me. Blah.

           I forgot my lunch.

           See, it was the lunch period and I was already at my wits end. All my self-control went to staying still and not flinching every time that blonde Candace girl touched me. We had all the morning subjects together, along with the Blue boy and Caleb.

            It was torture. Torture, I say. 

           And when lunch break came, I actually managed to elude them with my sneaky ninja skills. I even made it out to the school courtyard. I could narrate to you how I felt when I finally got out, but I'm sure you remember how it is, fresh air and such, bla bla bla yada yada. 

           Let me just say I was euphoric to be out until all my happiness went POOF! Gone! Shot down! All because I forgot my lunch!

           I was in so much hurry this morning that I forgot to prepare one. I didn't want to go out of the school since they had this stupid rule that we had to log in and out if we went out for lunch. How stupid is that? Besides, I didn't want to meet that perky secretary again. And I want my lunch. I'm hungry. Trying to stop yourself from being too obvious in hating body contact can make you hungry. Famished. Starving. The pain in my stomach was now burning.

           So I decided to brave the cafeteria. Duck in, grab lunch, duck out.

           Easy.

          It really was easy. I would have been successful too, ready to escape with a sandwich, an apple, and a bottle of water in my grasp. But no! That Blue character just had to step in my way!

           "Oi Megan! New Girl! I missed you!" he said in a loud booming voice while holding his arms outstretched to me. Almost every head in the cafeteria turned to check out the commotion, a.k.a. me. I was not pleased. He should be thankful the bottle of water was still sealed shut. 

           I ducked out of his way, ignored him, and walked faster to the door.

           "Oi!" the doofus called after me again. Yep, that's what I'll be calling him now. Doofus. Fits him perfectly, right?

           I felt someone grab my arm, and this time I couldn't help it anymore, I flinched, making the apple fly sideways from my grasp. But I didn't falter in my stride. Instead, I walked even faster, now half jogging as I shook his hand off. I felt a pang of grief for the sweet, red, and juicy apple that fate took away from me, but it's okay since I had my sandwich, I'd be fine.

           I clutched my remaining food protectively now. I really didn't want to starve. And as my gaze fell on my pitiful lunch, the sandwich now starting to get squished under my trembling grasp, I vowed to never forget my lunch again. Ever.

           "Hey now," he cajoled, "don't be like that. I just wanted you to sit with us."

           I gritted my teeth in irritation, took a deep breath to calm myself a bit, and forced myself to speak. "No thanks."

          I heard him come after me and I felt the tips of his fingers graze my shoulder, probably in a sad attempt to grab me. I sucked in a breath and I stumbled for a bit but his warm hand grabbed my elbow, steadying me.