Chapter 10 - He Came in Like a Wrecking Ball

"For I have sworn thee fair,
And thought thee bright,
Who art black as hell,
Dark as night."

-William Shakespeare, Sonnet CXLVII

So explaining to my mum what happened, why my knuckles were bandaged, and why I got detention is definitely not something I want to talk about. It wasn't fun, that's all you have to know. Anyway, the rest of the first week was uneventful compared to that second day of class. Or maybe it was uneventful because I pretended to be deaf to everyone. I don't know, honestly. All I knew is that no one tackled me, and I didn't get more prophetic visions and what not (Please note the sarcasm).

For the rest of the classes, the seats I took were selected with care. However, I didn't really have much choice in the matter because Candace and/or Trevor always managed to manipulate people to get a seat next to me. How they did it, I do not know, neither do I wish to know. Those two honestly seemed to have a huge bit of influence over a lot of people here.

Caleb was...well, he was just Caleb. We had a couple of classes together but his presence was not really very obvious. It was very soothing, really.

He sat next to me for Maths and some other subjects but he never really bothered me because he stayed quiet, unlike the other two who never seemed to be able to shut up, really. Pity. Sometimes, I felt like duct taping their mouths. And other times I felt like faking a headache and escaping to the clinic.

But there were some special moments where I actually felt grateful to the noisy two because they filled in my awkward bouts of silence, thereby saving me from making useless conversations with other mundane humans.

The rest of the gang, Lee, Ashton, and Devon, I saw them during lunch. Yes, unfortunately, I was subjected to having lunch with these people. I tried avoiding them once but Trevor kept hounding me about it, that I finally gave in. I figured that giving in to his demands lead to a more peaceful and quiet life than avoiding him and having him nag me for the rest of the day.

But at least they all kept their space. No one bothered me anymore, no tackle hugs, no surprise attacks. Sometimes, one of them would sling an arm around my shoulders but I'd glare until they moved away. They're all scared of my reputation for violent tendencies now, as evidenced by Caleb's split lip.

I did apologise for unintentionally hitting him, if you were wondering. I'm not exactly heartless.

And on Friday, they all went out for some movie and whatever normal teen agers do at these times, but I declined and made up some lame reason which they actually bought. Yay for me, I still know how to evade.

And so spent my Friday staying up with the twins and mum, in a different sofa, of course, as we watched a marathon of sickeningly sweet Disney Princess movies.

Yes, I watch these movies, do not judge me or I will gut you. Anyway, we stayed up till like one on the morning, and I had to help my mum wake the twins up and drag them to their rooms. Yes, I had to go to their rooms and suffer the horrible paint job (pink and purple, remember?) before I escaped to mine.

But the most messed up part of the week was neither the "incident" nor my entering the evil twins' lair; it was actually my Saturday morning.

See, I don't like waking up early. Neither do I like waking up earlier because of school. So to be woken up during the weekend by someone singing in such a horrendous voice to such a horrendous song? Not cool. Not cool at all.

"I'm a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world!

Life in plastic, it's fantastic!

You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere!

Imagination, life is your creation!"

I opened one eye to look at the time on my phone, it was still 10 to 10 in the morning. I groaned and buried my head in a pillow to drown the noise out. It worked for some time, in fact, I'm quite sure that I dozed off for a bit until it got worse--

"I came in like a wrecking ball!"

I groaned and buried myself deeper in my pillows, refusing to be awakened by such measly singing.

"I've never hit so hard in love!

All I wanted was to break your wall!

All you ever did was wre-e-eck meeee!"

Groaning in annoyance and mumbling curses, I kicked my pillows to the sides and shot straight out of my bed, dragging my blanket with me. I swear, that last part was screamed like a dying walrus. I'm serious. That. Was. Too Much.

I grabbed fistfuls of the never-before-opened drapes and took my annoyance out on them by wrenching them open for the first time since they've been put up and preparing myself to scream at the stupid neighbor who knew nothing about sleeping in during weekends. I mean, who wakes up willingly before noontime on weekends? Isn't there a law against that or something?

I placed my palms flat on the window frames, wincing as I felt how freezing cold it was, and prepared to push them but I froze as I saw the most horrendous sight out of my window.

Damn! Damn it! Move, Meg. Hide! Right now!

And I tried, I really did. But I could not move a muscle. I was frozen in place, confused as to what to do right now because directly in front of me, probably a couple of feet away, was a neighbour's window.

And past that window was a room.

And in that room was a boy.

Okay, first of all, I didn't even know there was a window next to mine! I mean, I knew we had a neigbour but I didn't think it was this close! And what is even worse is that it was a guy's room, mind you. And the very worst part was that the guy in it was currently in his birthday suit except for a towel wrapped around his waist. In his hand he held a hairbrush, and he was singing and dancing to the song currently playing.

Oh dear. I thought to myself sadly. Was he the source of that awful singing? He's really bad. Not off key bad. He was just awful. He could definitely dance, I acknowledge that. But his singing was just like nails grating on a chalkboard.

I frowned to myself, started to back away from the windows, and close my drapes, hoping I wouldn't be seen through the thin glass panes so I could spare him the humiliation of being discovered. But as always, luck was never on my side. At at that very moment, the guy turned and saw me.

He stopped singing immediately, whipped around to face me in a move that had me almost running away as his towel was just precariously wrapped around him, and bellowed in a loud voice.

"Oi! You!"