Chapter Thirteen: Wavering Heart

I can't believe these two! They can't hide anything from me though, especially right now. I know I sound conceited but I can't think of any valid reason why they would hit each other. Andrew loves me, he already said it twice and of course Nathan is my fiancé. Screw that brawling game, that's just so lame for an excuse. They were having an argument about something that involves me, it's what it was for that I don't know.

I looked at the two guys seating on a bed opposite each other while I am seating in front of them. We are currently in the clinic. The school nurse was done treating Nathan's cut on his lips while Andrew's wrist was bandaged maybe because he punched Nathan hard on the face, and just went out to give us some privacy.

I let go of a loud sigh to get their attention. Their glaring contest is starting to get into my nerves it's so irritating and surely if looks could kill they are both lying on the floor by now and lifeless.

"So...." I trailed off. "Is this a continuation of the 'brawl game' you were playing earlier? A staring contest, perhaps?" I know I sounded sarcastic, but to hell with that! They know I wouldn't fall for that childish excuse.

Nathan stood up and sat on the chair beside me. "Pumpkin, I told you it was nothing. We were just having a talk, it's a guy thing, y'know." He tried to held my hand but I stood up.

"So it's a guy thing now to be violent? You know too well that it could lead you both to detention and that would be a very bad idea, unless you want to extend your being high school students?" They both looked down and I can feel their guilt. Silence. They did not move or say anything.

"I suppose you don't want that. I just don't want you two get into trouble, I hope you understand my nagging right now." I brought my hands to my waist and I saw them both nodded.

"Cat got your tongues now, eh?" They're looking elsewhere. 'Huh! Maybe guilt got their tongues' They look like some naughty boys who had just been caught sneaking cookies from a cookie jar. I suppressed myself from laughing and they both know that I won't let this one go without any explanation, I'll just patiently wait until they crack up.

"Sorry..." They said in unison after a few minutes of silence.

I raised my left eyebrow, fixed my glasses to my nose and uncrossed my arms from my chest. "What did you say?" 'Just a little more push'

Andrew sighed in defeat. "Look Kia, I'm sorry..." 'Just a little more'

"Sorry for what, Andrew?" I acted annoyed and he looked at me intently and sighed again.

"I started it..." Andrew admitted. I heard Nathan groaned and I glared at him, making him throw his hands in the air as a surrender.

Andrew cleared his throat and looked at me again. "I just wanted to know what his real intentions are, Kiara." He said truthfully that made my eyebrows furrow.

"W-what do you mean, Andrew?" I don't get it. I thought he already let this thing go. I felt all the humors I have earlier leaving my body.

"I just really find it odd for him to just come around. All I want is for you to be happy Kiara and getting you involved with him means bad news." I saw Andrew gritted his teeth. I walked closer to him and held his arm. He looked at me and his face softened.

"Thank you, Andrew. It meant a lot to me, seriously. You just don't know how much I appreciate it... But Drew, you can let it slip now..." He looked at me as if I grew another head, he stared at me for a couple of seconds then withdrew his eyes from mine.

"W-why am I even surprised? No way in hell you're going to believe me anyway." He smiled bitterly. 'Because I love him, Drew...'

"D-drew... It's not like that..." I tried to held his hand but he moved away. 'I don't want you getting hurt either...' I wanted to add those words but I felt it would be pointless now. I've already hurt him. I know I did and it kills me.

"No matter what I say, no matter what I do, you will still choose him! You will choose him even if it'll kill you!" He looked at me accusingly and shook his head.

Looking at him like this feels like I was stabbed by a knife in my chest. 'I don't want to hurt you, Andrew. Please stop doing this...'

I shook my head several times. I can't look at him anymore. "N-no Andrew. Don't do this... Please..." My voice is cracking up and I know my tears will fall anytime. 'I can't see you hurting... You're my friend...' Yeah, he's my best friend too. I don't want to either hurt him or lose him...

"You can't have us both, Kiara. You are being so selfish." I just shook my head again. I can't breath. 'I know, it's selfish' I wanted to voice that out but I did not say a word. I just can't. But what he did next made my world crumble...

He moved closer to me and without any warning, he hugged me. Tight. I heard Nathan shouted Andrew's name but at this moment, I don't care about anything else. I can hear his irregular heartbeat as he drew me closer to his chest. I was about to hug him back when he whispered "Be happy, Kiara..." then he released me and walked passed me to reach the door.

'Andrew...' I was rooted on the floor. 'D-did he just let me go?' I spanned around to look if he's still by the door but he's not there anymore. I know I should be happy that he finally took a step forward to moving on but I felt my eyes swell up instead. My lungs constricted. 'What's this?' I felt my whole system is betraying me. I placed my hand to where it hurts. My heart.

'Why is it this painful? I can't cling on him forever, I knew that all along... But why am I feeling this way?'

I was startled when someone hugged me from behind. 'Nathan'

"Why are you being like this, Kiara? I'm your fiancé. It is best for you to let him go. Don't make him linger to something he will never have." His words felt like daggers. I shut my eyes hard to prevent my eyes from shedding anymore tears for Andrew but I guess that won't happen anytime soon.

'Why am I being like this anyway? I can't understand myself anymore'

My whole body trembled as the pain in my chest bore a whole in it. I tried to escape from his embrace, to run away but Nathan didn't let me go, he just stood their behind me and became my support.

"I guess we share the same dilemma after all, Anderson." I heard him whisper those words in my ear but I couldn't quite comprehend it anymore.

'I pushed Andrew away... It was the right thing to do. It's not like we're not friends anymore. But why? If it's the right thing, why does it hurt like hell?'

A/N:

It was a short update but I guess giving a hint of what will happen next won't hurt. So what'ya think?

Does this mean Kiara just had a change of heart? But what about Nathan? The engagement. Ugh! She's giving me a headache.. Kidding! Hehe

Anyway, again thank you for those reading this! It means a lot to me.

Enjoy! Ciao!