Chapter 27

Dylan's POV

When the bell rang Monday morning, I rubbed my tired eyes and hoped that our teacher wouldn't notice if I fell asleep in class. After talking to Zach and spending most of the weekend together, I had to catch up with the normal rhythm of time-changing from being awake half the night and sleeping until way past noon.

A finger tapped on my shoulder. I turned and caught a smiling Seb. "Hi, how was your weekend?" he asked.

"It was good." I didn't know if good was the right word for it, but doubted I could explain it any other way. Besides, Zach probably wouldn't want me to talk openly of his past. The details were too painful. "How was yours?"

We started walking in the direction of the classroom. "It was great." He was smiling wider, and I could tell that he was excited to tell me something. However, he didn't get the chance before we walked into class, meeting none other than the principal.

"Good morning, boys." His eyes trained on me, and I wondered if he was here for some special reason. "Dylan, would you like to come with me?"

I peeked past him, wondering if Tobias was back, and if that was the reason. However, the teacher standing behind the desk was unfamiliar. A sense of calm warmed my chest, and I nodded to Mr. Taylor.

"Thank you, Miranda. He'll be back shortly," Mr. Taylor said to the new teacher. She answered with a quick nod and focused on the class. She seemed experienced, and I hoped they had found a permanent teacher this time.

"Where's Tobias?" I asked as we walked through the corridor.

"We relieved Mr. Forrest from his employment here."

My heart lurched in my chest-speeding up and then slowing down. I wondered if I had heard right. "Really?" That was the best news I could have received. Not only did it mean that I wouldn't have to be afraid in school, it was also an acknowledgment that Mr. Taylor believed my story.

"Yes. I talked to your old school. I don't understand how he managed to clear his record after working for them. Someone in the administration must have had a weak spot for that man." Mr. Taylor opened the door to his office. "We should discuss in private," he added. "Please take a seat."

I sat down in the chair that felt infinitely more comfortable this time around.

"As I said, Mr. Forrest won't be working here, and I doubt he'll find a job at another school anytime soon."

"Thank you." Those words felt minuscule in comparison to the gratitude heating me from inside out. I wanted nothing more than to give the man a hug and then call my mom.

"I'm glad you came to us with your story, Dylan, and I hope you won't hesitate to report if something like this should ever happen again. It is a severe transgression for teachers to interact with students in such a way."

"I know." The relief was momentarily replaced by shame. I knew I shouldn't have started the relationship with Tobias in the first place, but at the time, it was beyond exciting-at least before it went down the wrong highway.

"I wanted to tell you in person, but I'm also worried that this man will continue to be a problem where we can't help you. Have you considered filing for a restraining order?"

"It didn't work last time around." I thought of the brief meeting with the local officer. He hadn't believed my story, partly because he thought I was making it up to get Tobias sacked. Afterward, I realized that the officer was buddies with Tobias' father. That was the moment Mom decided that we had to move.

"Maybe you should try again. I can give them a call at the station."

I perked up at that. "Do you know someone there?"