Chapter 21

Zach's POV

"Long time no see," Clive said, his voice filled with that attitude he knew I hated—the attitude that told me that he didn't care what the fuck I thought as long as I kept my mouth shut.

"Too soon," I replied behind clenched teeth. I tried to control the burning rage that boiled within. I had to keep it on a lock-down, else I'd be in deep shit.

I knew what they wanted from me, and as long as I gave it to them they usually left. This time, though, they had seen Dylan. I was a bit worried about what they might do with that information. I wanted to steal a glance at him to make sure he was staying away, but I couldn't. I had to keep my eyes on the douchebags who snatched away the one person that had truly mattered to me in my life.

"You know, you're a pretty cocky guy, and we don't think we like that, do we guys?" Clive gloated, turning to the others for confirmation. They all nodded while their eyes sparkled with danger. That didn't wipe the awful grins off of their faces, however.

"I can guess why you're here, so I'll tell you what I usually tell you. If I'd had the evidence I would have made sure you were locked up for the rest of your pathetic lives, but I don't, so you have nothing to fucking worry about!"

I took a moment to calm my breathing. I usually didn't let them see me this upset, but a certain guy had completely turned me into a hormonal, emotional wreck which didn't exactly help at this moment.

"Good, good," Clive said, nodding his head and then patting me on my head like I was a damn puppy, or better yet, a puppet. "You better take good care of lover boy over there, he's got a cute ass..." Clive smirked with badly veiled contempt. I began to shake with anger, fear, hate—but I couldn't let it show. I couldn't let them see. If something happened to Dylan because of me, I wouldn't ever forgive myself.

Clive keyed my car one last time as they went, but I didn't care as long as they walked away. I stood there, anger still pulsing within me, memories threatening to unfold from where I kept them locked behind countless doors.

"Zach?"

I startled at Dylan's soft voice behind me. I wasn't really ready to speak with him yet, not after this. Not after they'd threatened him. It hurt, and I hated that feeling. I hated to feel at all, and this guy, this good looking, obnoxious guy made me feel all sorts of things.

I felt him place a hand on my shoulder. A presence I forced myself to accept. I craved this touch, but after seeing those guys again the impulse to lash out in anger was almost impossible to rein, and I had promised never to lash out at him again. Besides, he seemed to have more than enough on his shoulders already.

"Zach!" he said, a little less hesitant this time. He kept his hand on my shoulder but moved to stand in front of me. I knew he was waiting for me to look at him, but I couldn't focus. I felt him get closer, invading my space, but this time I didn't want to stop him.

His arms snaked around me, holding me firmly while my shoulders dropped. He was here, they were gone.

My body began to shake as the adrenaline dispersed from my system. I was shaking, and I couldn't stop.

"Hey, they're gone Zach, they're gone," he said gently, gripping one hand around my head, caressing my hair. I felt ridiculous, but it helped. I hated that he had seen me like this, not only once, but twice. I'd never shown anyone before, so why him? One part of me just wanted to get rid of him, never lay eyes on him again, but another part needed him: I needed him in a way that almost made me scared.

"Do you have your stuff, I can drive," he continued, his breath tickling my neck.

"Drive where?" I asked.