4. Goin' For Mine

Amani Reese.

No matter how I think we grow you always seem to let me know it ain't working, it ain't working. And when I try to walk away, you'd hurt yourself to make me stay--

"Mani." Tremaine's voice filled the room. I turned and looked at him with tears in my eyes. "What's wrong, baby?" He asked while walking towards me. "That's Bahja's favorite song. She used to sing it all the time. Her voice was enough to bring anyone to tears. I can't believe I missed out on so much..." He hugged me. "Babe, I'm sorry that you have to deal with this...do you wanna talk about what happened?" I sat up and looked him in the eyes.

"When I was a kid, I was a badass. When my dad died, I wasn't the same sweet girl everyone knew and loved. I turned rotten. I didn't listen to my mom or my siblings, and I did illegal shit, basically. I would run around town robbing people and stealing from convenience stores. I became a household name because I just didn't act right. And soon, my reckless behavior caught up with me. I got pregnant and ran off with the baby's father. Sadly, I miscarried, and that guy left me out there alone. He told me he loved me and he'd protect me no matter what. And he just left me in a cold world. All by myself."

He pulled me in for a long hug. I started crying. I'm glad I met Tremaine. He's made my life so much better. Even when I fucked up and stepped out on him, he loved me and stood by my side through it all. I don't deserve someone as great as him. "Mom?" We looked back and saw Kiah standing at the door.

"What's up?" I said wiping my tears. "Someone named Calvin is at the door looking for you." Tremaine looked at me. "Calvin?" "My brother...I'll be back."

I got up and pulled myself together while walking to the living room. He was sitting on the couch. When he saw me, he stood still, and so did everything around us.