Chapter 1 - Unanswered Questions

“Jasmine?” Mason takes my hand, keeping one hand on the steering wheel.

“Yeah?” I turn to look at him; Mason glances back at me before turning back to the road ahead.

“Look, I know we’re young but we love each other right?” I turn to face him again; I nod and wait for him to carry on.

“Well…” He shifts nervously in his seat and flips his mousy brown hair, showing his glittering blue eyes.

“What do you think about us getting married next year?” Mason blurts, looking at me expectantly. Before I can speak, there is a loud crash and I have sudden felling of being thrown forward. I look around me and see the car spinning around me, making me dizzy. Suddenly I’m thrown from the car onto a grass verge as the car slides down the road with Mason still trapped inside. The car slows down and comes to a standstill. On its side I can see Mason struggling to get out, I go to run towards the car but strong arms grab my waist and pull me back. Looking back at the car, I can no longer see Mason as it fills up with smoke.

“LET ME GO!” I scream at the top of my lungs but the arms don’t loosen. I’m too busy looking for Mason to see who is restraining me.

A flicker of orange appears inside the car and I feel sick with fear, knowing Mason is still inside. The next thing I hear is a huge bang and I see the car blow up.

“MAASSOONN!”

I look around realising I’m back in my room at my brother’s apartment, which I moved into a week ago.

‘It’s just a dream. It’s not real.’ I chant over and over to myself but it doesn’t help. See, the thing is, it isn’t just a dream. It happened six months ago. My boyfriend, Mason, and I were driving down the highway when a truck ploughed into us. Apparently it wasn’t an accident; you see, my father own this huge company in something or other, and he’s a billionaire, which makes me a target or something. So, clearly I was supposed to die in that car crash but Mason pushed me out of the car just in time. But in saving me…he sacrificed his own life.

Anyway, back to why I’m living with my brother…I just needed to get away from my father, because in a way, I still blame him for Mason’s death. So since I’m clearly not over it yet, I thought it would be best if I moved away. Which means now I have to start some new crappy school and I’m expected to act ‘normal’ again, whatever that means? And since I can obviously not defend myself in any way, my brother James has decided to sign me up for some kind of local fighting club. But I really think the only reason he signed me up is to work off my anger…I’m quite excited if I’m honest though, it means I get to kick someone’s ass for no reason.

But back to what I’m doing now.

I check my phone to only find out it reads ‘5:46 AM’. I throw it onto my bed and roll over, huffing and puffing at what time it is. I jump out of bed and put on some black skinny's, a white Transformers t-shirt and some black chucks. I brush my hair and put a blue beanie on, put my lip ring in and head downstairs to eat a pop tart. By the time I’ve finished all that, its 8:30, so I head out to my sleek black Harley and ride to the newest hellhole, or otherwise called High school.