The Road... again

Chapter Four

This was the second time I had woken up facing the wall of Hugh’s tent. It was the first time though, I had woken up with Hugh’s arms around me. When I remembered last night a smile spread across my face. I felt Hugh lean over me and kissed my cheek. I grinned at him. I stood up and gently stretched. Hugh got up after me. “I am going to go tell Alex and John to start packing for the road; we will leave in an hour. You will ride a horse, because I know you aren’t capable of walking yet.”

I nodded and turned around. My whole body ached, but I ignored it. I soon found a saddlebag, and started to fill it with necessary things. Since I had lost my weapons in the fight yesterday, I grabbed two more just like the lost knives and stashed them in my boot. There were a few more things I got like food and clothes. I found some of my things and threw them into the bag too. I realized if Hugh had some of my things, than they must have found my camp and got my stuff. I started to walk to the door, but my knees buckled half way there. I crawled over to the chair and pulled my self on to it. Hugh was right; I was in worse condition than I thought. I wondered if it was something Hugh had given me that made me feel so much better. I made a mental note to ask him. As I was thinking about that, Hugh walked in. I looked up and smiled at him. He wasn’t fooled. He obviously knew I had fallen; there was a thump when it happened. He sighed. 

“What?” I asked.

He looked at me like I was mental and walked over to me. He gently hit me on the knee. I cringed when he hit the bruise there, already forming from my fall. I got up out of the chair and leaned against Hugh.

“So,” I said. “I have a question. Did you give me something last time I was here that made me feel better?” 

He looked at me and laughed. “I knew you would figure it out. Why? Do you want some more?”

“That depends. What is it?”

He shrugged. “Medicine.”

I gave in. “If you refuse to tell me more, than I guess I will have some anyway.”

He laughed and put me down on the chair again. Hugh walked over to a small leather pouch I hadn’t noticed before. He untied it and there was a clink of glass against glass. Hugh took out one vial and brought it over to me. He told me to open my mouth and I obeyed. He tipped my chin up and dropped a few drops on my tongue. It tasted like it had been forgotten for a few thousand years, than mixed with dirt and grime. I started gagging, Hugh laughed. I looked at him like he was insane.

“There’s a reason we gave it to you when you were sleeping.” He explained. 

“I can see that.” I replied hoarsely. 

He looked at me again, I was still coughing. He put the vial back in the pouch and walked back to me. I again stood up and leaned against him. We walked towards the entrance to the tent. I covered my eyes against the light when we walked outside. I heard the other two brothers fighting about what to put in what saddlebag. He looked at me and rolled his eyes. I laughed.

Later that day, all four of us were either riding horses or walking. I, of course, had to ride on a horse. There were three other horses, but one was carrying supplies. One of the brothers had to walk at all times. I felt bad, but Hugh told me that there was no way I could walk for five days anyway. I tried to argue but Hugh cut me off.