Escape... I think

LALALA I UPLOADED BECASUE I HAVE TWO LOYAL FANS!!!! FIRST TWO CHAPTERS ARE DEDICATED TO THEM SO CHECH THEM OUT!!! I LOVE YOU!!!

When I opened my eyes, I shrunk back against the clear light that engulfed me. I closed my eyes again. After trying to remember what had happened for some time, I finally remembered the pain. The memory made me shudder. I unsuccessfully tried to sit up. After I plopped back down, there was an amused laugh filling the room. I again opened my eyes, only to find my self looking at a wall, for I was turned on my side. Only then did I feel the bandages that were tightly wound around my back and around my ribs. Suddenly, there were heavy footsteps coming towards me.  Then, there was the face of the man, Hugh, I had met in the forest that morning, blocking my vision. I asked him where I was.

He replied. “In a tent of course.” 

I glared at him. “Not what I meant.”

He grinned. “Well then miss; you’re in the tent that I shared with my two brothers you were listening to before.” 

I grimaced at the memory. “Do they know- Wait, shared?

“Of course. We have separate tents now.”

I let out a sigh of relief. I almost thought I was alone with this strange man. I asked him where they were now, and he said they were getting water from the river for dinner. 

“So does that mean that I am free to leave now?”

“Only if you want to end right back here again.”

“I don’t think that will happen, now that you have properly cared for my wounds.” I said. 

“You broke two of your ribs.” He said with mock amusement. 

“As I said before, I think I can manage.”

“Yes, you only think you can manage.”

I sighed and closed my eyes. This man was impossible. 

Then he said. “See, your already getting the hang of it.”

I turned to face him. “What?”

“Resting.” 

I again sighed. I would have to think really hard if I wanted to escape.  Even if I did think up a plan, this was still a tent. It wasn’t the biggest tent in the world either. I could always find my strength after dinner and bash Hugh over the head with a pot. No, that wouldn't work, he was probably twice as strong as me. I looked over at him to confirm this. His broad chest was well, broad, and he obviously had a lot of muscle covering his arms. After seeing this, I studied him some more. He had light hair covering his head, and was taller than average height. He dressed simply, just an off white tunic, and brown pants. I also happened to notice the slight bulge in his boot, which I guessed was a concealed dagger. After I looked him over, I continued to think about escape routes. I could ask the three men to look at the mysterious sound I heard in the woods during dinner, and then when they go to investigate, make a run for it. Ugh, that wouldn’t work either; I couldn’t make it far with my busted ribs. They would surely catch me before I could go ten feet. Hmm… 

I’ve got it! I’ll say I need to go to the bathroom, and then escape through the woods really quietly. Ha, I knew I’d think of something. 

“Hugh,” I asked. “When are we eating dinner?”

“I don’t know, let me go ask.” He walked out of the tent. 

Once he left, I got an idea. Why don’t I just run now? For all I knew, he could be throwing poison on to the food I was going to eat. These men could be experienced highwaymen! I slowly rose out of the cot I was in. When I felt my feet touch the ground, I waited a few moments before standing up. I was surprised to find that my head was not spinning, as I expected it to. In fact, I felt amazing. What in the world had that man giving me? 

I strode across the room to the tent flap. They seemed to be arguing about something. Ignoring that, I turned around to look for a weapon of some sort, for mine had disappeared. I immediately saw an assortment of small hunting knifes and daggers lay across on a table. I curiously walked over to them, and picked up a very small hunting knife and a small dagger. I stowed both of them in my right boot. As soon as I was sure they were concealed, I took another sharp dagger off the table, and began cutting a hole in the back of the tent. Once I was done, I lay on my stomach, and started to crawl through the hole I had made. Once I was out, I threw the dagger I had used back in the tent, and stood up. When I looked around, all I saw was dark trees. That satisfied me, knowing there was no one else here. I carefully started my way through the woods, stepping over twigs and dried leaves, avoiding anything that would make noise. I was doing pretty well too. I grinned when I heard the voices. 

“Uh, Hugh, I think we have a problem.”

“What? Did she roll over dead, Alex?” Hugh asked. 

“More like walked.” Alex said sheepishly. 

I had stopped to see what Hugh would say now. The voices were very faint, now that I was further away from the campsite. There were heavy footsteps crunching leaves and then a swish as the tent flap got swung back. I heard Hugh groan in frustration when he saw the dagger on the ground near the hole perfectly sized for Katrina’s slim body. It made me laugh, hearing his frustration. I decided to continue on my way, before there was a small search party going through the area. Continuing the technique I had going before, I slinked further into the forest. 

When I reached the rock cave that was my campsite, the first thing I did was find my bed, for it was late and I was tired.  I carefully lay down on my side, when I had reached my makeshift cot. It again surprised me when my injuries caused me no pain. 

I must find out what they gave me while I was unconscious

Whatever it was it was a miracle worker. I then emptied my mind, looking for sleep. When it did come, it was at least an hour later. 

When I woke up the next morning, it was still quite early. I quickly washed my face and got dressed. Once I was done I gathered my small breakfast of cheese and bread. 

Once I finished, I walked outside and stuffed my few belongings into Olive’s saddlebags. I swung my leg over the saddle and grabbed the reins, eager to get out of here. I also grabbed my brother’s hat that I stole and my black handkerchief. I put the hat on my head and knotted the handkerchief around the rest of my face, but I left my eyes uncovered. With this outfit on, I could easily be mistaken for a boy. I laughed at the thought and started riding towards the main road.