Proud to be Prejudiced

This is a one-shot which just came to my mind yesterday. It is a look at some thoughts that might have been floating about in Mrs. Bennet's mind before, during and immediately after the momentous Netherfield Ball.

PROUD TO BE PREJUDICED

Since this morning I had been all in a flutter. This is the night that can make or break my Jane’s life. Her whole future – nay, our entire family’s future – and happiness depends upon her capturing Mr. Bingley’s heart! Oh my lovely child, you are my only hope of escaping from a lifetime of penury after Mr. Bennet leaves us for the Unknown. Of course, Mr. Collins ought to let his mother-in-law live on at Longbourn after he takes over – Lizzy is nothing but manipulative when she wants something and I trust that she may exert herself at least that much for the sake of her Mamma – but she has been so obstinate with the man that my hopes keep on fluttering back and forth. Lord knows I have been so put out all week getting my child settled; and has she ever been thankful? Not her! If only Lizzy were as pliant as Jane or my darlings Lydia and Kitty, but no – she must vex her poor mother out of her wits…

Ah, the carriage is moving at last! I thought that we were never going to set off at all; but then, girls will be girls and Lydia really did need those new ribbons to be sewed on her gown. It made the whole thing look so much more fetching; I am sure that my lamb will be the most courted belle at the ball! And Hill really should know not to disturb me with kitchen matters when my nerves are so finely strung. What did she expect to achieve but my complete breakdown? It is a good thing that my smelling salts were handy, or else I might have had to miss out on tonight’s entertainment due to a severe attack of vapors; and where would my daughters have been then, without me to guide them?

Jane looks so beautiful tonight. I knew that the blue sprigged muslin was a good choice – it brings out the color of her eyes and makes her hair glow. If only Miss Lizzy had given her sister her cashmere shawl to wear over this gown the outfit could have been perfect: but she must go and wear it herself. Who does she need to impress anyway? Mr. Collins is enamored enough of her and she must only stop that vicious tongue of hers from doing damage to keep him by her side. Why couldn’t she be as good-humored as Lydia or as malleable as Kitty? Or even as attractive as Jane, so that wealthy men would offer for her without her fatigued Mamma having to exert herself to look out for a recalcitrant child all the time. Though the way things are shaping up, it looks like I need to look out for Jane as well. She is too gentle for her own good, and Mr. Bingley doesn’t seem to be making a move on his own. Tonight I must drop a few delicate hints around him about the suitability of a match with my exquisite eldest daughter.

Xxxxx

Two hours into the revelry, and already it seems like my greatest dreams are going to be fulfilled. Mr. Bingley has eyes for no one but my Jane. She is as good as settled at Netherfield already! And no other girl present here has half as nice a dress as her, except for the charming Miss Bingley and Mrs. Hurst. I knew that buying that pricey material with my sister Gardiner would be worth it in the end, even though Mr. Bennet kicked up no end of a fuss over the expense at that time – you can’t beat the London shops for quality!

My youngest daughters also seem to be enjoying themselves pretty well. Dear Lydia and Kitty are certainly in demand tonight, even though the charming Mr. Wickham does not appear to be in attendance anywhere. But at least the other officers seem to be properly enamored of my darlings, and they have not sat down for a dance even once. They are as popular as I was in my youth, I warrant. Ah, the dear Colonel Miller…and yes, that very dashing lieutenant named something like Sanders or Mycroft. Those were the days, indeed. Now all that is left to me is aspiring for good husbands for my girls, and hoping that the process does not send me into Bedlam. No one cares for the delicate state of my nerves.